DjangoBooks.com

Searching for some spare buttons

Hello everyone, I'm searching four spare buttons for a pair of Delaurelle tuners of my Di Mauro, might someone have some?

They have a diameter of 1,8 cm ( 0,70 inches) .

Comments

• BonesBones Moderator

Stew Mac sells replacement buttons. But it looks like the metal shaft is damaged/broken?

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I remember seeing an old guitar where someone soldered coins to the ends in place of the missing buttons...thought that was cool!

wim
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

That could be cool if you could get some old French franc coins. They look to be pretty cheap for sale on ebay. Extra points if you get 1953.

• BonesBones Moderator

BTW there is a trick to installing the plastic buttons. They are not glued on. Look for a Youtube vid or post here if you can't find one.

• ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

Some folks have different ways of applying heat to soften them but I have found it easiest way to remove them is to warm the metal shaft by holding the tip of a hot soldering iron on it for a few seconds but try to keep at least 1/4" away from the plastic. That also works to fit buttons back on to the post but given the age of these and the probability of them turning brittle and therefore breaking under heavy use, a little spot of Gorilla glue or similar is probably a good idea.

DoubleWhiskyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • ChrisMartinChrisMartin Shellharbour NSW Australia✭✭ Di Mauro x2, Petrarca, Genovesi, Burns, Kremona Zornitsa & Paul Beuscher resonator.

I have restored many old GJ guitars with the Delaruelle tuners and always kept the broken ones for later. If a guitar has broken or missing tuners I might replace them with a modern set, usually Schaller in the past, but keeping the old ones has meant down the years I have been able to rebuild complete working sets from the parts and where an old guitar merits preserving total originality I have then refitted a salvaged set of Delaruelles.

Tip: always hang on to the broken ones.

The Delaruelle family still supply some parts from their website at:

http://www.atelierdelaruelle.com/achat/cat-knobs-for-guitars-and-mandolins-1093.html

They no longer list the classic yellow buttons, it currently only shows white, for which Stewmac might be easier to deal with, but if your French is ok it might be worth asking just in case.

billyshakes
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I have some spare Delaruelle parts, I couldn't find them when I looked, but they'll turn up & I can get them to you .

elianuBillDaCostaWilliams
  • elianuelianu New Caponnetto Di Mauro
  • BonesBones Moderator

It looks like 3 of the little posts that go up into the holes on the knobs are broken off??? Not much that you can do to fix that. Nothing for the buttons to attach to.

• elianuelianu New Caponnetto Di Mauro

My idea was to weld a little piece of brass there and shape it a bit with a file. Might be a crazy thing to do.