DjangoBooks.com

Schnuckenack's "Pope" violin

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
in Violin Posts: 1,308

In the "Starpoint" album liner notes, it says that Schnuckenack Reinhardt was given a violin by Pope Paul VI in 1965 with a personal dedication. It also says he would play it only on festive occasions (festivals & pilgrimages), but never to make money. Anyone know what happened to this "Pope" violin? I'm certain it is a treasure for the family. But, it would also seem a great item for a museum to help keep the memory of Schnuckenack and his music alive. He really did so much by recording many of the traditional songs that are played today.

BucoChrisMartin

Comments

• Ferenc23Ferenc23 New

Great question. As a violinist influenced highly by his recordings, I’ve wondered that same question myself throughout the years. On one of his albums, I seem to recall a picture of the violin and it had a carved scroll and other adornments, I’ll have to go look through the albums, but I’m pretty sure it’s pictured in one. Would be amazing to see in person on display as you mentioned. I know I’d definitely go to see it.

billyshakes