DjangoBooks.com

Stephane Wrembel simple lesson

Comments

• The old MIB.

This is a deceptively simple way of looking at things, but is extremely fruitful. Having studied with Stephane, I can say that it is definitely worth taking this through a few songs and there is a lot you can do with this.

• delb0ydelb0y ✭✭

Not sure what MIB is, but I always like this approach. However as soon as I get a few fast changes I get lost. I find myself managing about two notes, a bit of space for thinking time, and then one note for the next change, and after that I'm lost...

He does make it look easy.

Derek

• cmcmurphy22cmcmurphy22 New Bumgarner, Zwinakis
    edited November 2022 Posts: 39

I’m taking lessons with Stephane for 3 years now. He’s an incredible music teacher.

he would say you just have to repeat this exercise every day and get it totally ingrained in muscle memory.

basic shapes major and minor zones/basic 6th and dominant/diminished as well.

you just do the basic exercise daily. but it structured a certain way which is super important actually

Pretty soon it becomes automatic and intuitive and the entire fretboard opens up.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

he would say you just have to repeat this exercise every day and get it totally ingrained in muscle memory.

I was going to bring this point up, and it goes along with Jim's "deceptively simple" comment. Yes, the 3 little triad shapes in root, 1st inversion, and 2nd inversion are simple and give you that framework or structure. But, then about 10s from the end he says "and then you just add some notes from around them." That is the part that can take you years to figure out. Which notes sound good. Which notes sound better. Which notes clash, etc. That is cool that you are NY and able to take lessons from him!

• cmcmurphy22cmcmurphy22 New Bumgarner, Zwinakis

so this exercise is really just scratching the surface. Stephane has so much more that he adds to this as the lessons progress. It’s all very simplistic though and is revealed as you work through the Django solos. All those notes are in the shapes. And there’s variations on the shapes. It’s a brilliant system and Stephane is an expert at teaching it. I take lessons via Skype. It’s great. Can’t recommend it enough. And he’s very affordable.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • MIB is what Stephane used to call the system.

Yes, it is more detailed than just running triads. The idea is that if you know where your basic chord (triad) tones are all over the neck for any chord quality, you are in control. Specifically, b7 is a whole step below the root, 6th is a whole step above the fifth, etc etc. Additionally, there so much to be gained from triad based improvising.

I'm happy to hear that Stephane is still teaching the same way, which is through repertoire.

• edited November 2022 Posts: 1,231

The other thing that is really helpful with this is to run it through song forms with different note values. half, quarter, quarter note triplets, eighth, eighth triplets, etc. Do it through a for at as slow of a tempo that you can execute cleanly. Add approach notes. At the upper scaler note. add both.

There are endless things you can do to practice this. They are all well worth while.