DjangoBooks.com

WTB used "inexpensive" guitar

everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭
in Classifieds Posts: 154

Hi friends. I'm looking for something like an Altamira, Gitane, etc. An inexpensive but playable "travel" guitar. Doesn't need to be pretty...as long as it's in decent shape and plays fine. something < $1k USD.

I'm planning on doing some extended stays in various cities, and want an easy guitar for the plane. Rather than spending a lot of money on a good flight case, I'm hoping to try my luck with the gig bag + carry on route.

Thanks!

Comments

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos

Assuming the airline is instrument friendly (not all are) and the overhead is at least 15 in deep you could probably just Google a used gypsy guitar and find something that works for you.

• I bought a Washburn Rover “new”. They can be had used for under $175. 23.5inch scale, small acoustic body. Action is kind of high and intonation isn’t great but it is pretty small and I didn’t get the stink eye when I brought it on the airplane. They did make me put it in the overhead compartment on the way there but not on the way back. I just put it under the seat, strings down in the soft case. It’s going on my family vacation with me next summer. Gotta keep up my RSP and LaPompe chops. I think of it as a practice device and to me it was worth it. It would not be worth it if you need to perform with it.

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

I had one of these before and loved it. Gave it away though…I got an AJL travel guitar. I’m looking for something to gig with though. I suppose I can gig on the AJL but I’d need an amplifier.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

How does that Smokey amp work, @everett . It certainly takes the prize for aesthetics.

• everetteverett san francisco✭✭✭

It’s a fun amp! Pretty overdriven, but a cool sound. It has an output and will actually power a half stack. By itself, it’s not very loud, but good enough to mess around with.

I'd think sourcing an amp for a gig would be easier than schlepping a full size guitar across several flights. That AJL is a perfect travel companion.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel