DjangoBooks.com

Left hand fingerings

CynekulCynekul New
edited February 2005 in Gypsy Jazz 101 Posts: 38
How do you guys feel about left hand fingerings? From what I've seen so far it seems most GJ players use primarily 3 fingers to play solo lines. Why not use classical left hand technique which utilizes all 4 fingers though, since one is not going to use the two finger technique Django himself used anyway? Is there a reason that I'm not yet aware of yet?

~Paul V.

Comments

• CalebFSUCalebFSU Tallahassee, FLModerator Made in USA Dell Arte Hommage
    Paul, I say go for what you know. If you like the way you play with Four fingers "Stab- it and Steer". If I am working with a book that has fingerings notated (i.e. Gypsy Picking) I use them. The guy that wrote the instructional book obviously knows more about the style than I do. If there are no fingerings notated I go for whats comfortable. Some lines lend themselves to use of the Pinky some I just phrase better with three fingers. If I am running scales or Modes I use all four fingers. Thats just me though. Like I said go for what you know.
    Hard work beats talent, when talent doesn't work hard.
  • stublastubla Prodigy Godefroy Maruejouls
    CalebFSU wrote:
    Paul, I say go for what you know. If you like the way you play with Four fingers "Stab- it and Steer". If I am working with a book that has fingerings notated (i.e. Gypsy Picking) I use them. The guy that wrote the instructional book obviously knows more about the style than I do. If there are no fingerings notated I go for whats comfortable. Some lines lend themselves to use of the Pinky some I just phrase better with three fingers. If I am running scales or Modes I use all four fingers. Thats just me though. Like I said go for what you know.

Hi
    i more or less agree but there IS a certain tonal strength you get from just the first 3 fingers--it also simplifies the fingerboard in many ways;less choices equals more Django?
    Matcho Winterstein(nee Weiss....)and Tchavolo are masters at the 3 finger approach
    Having said that Angelo Debarre and Fapy use all 4 fingers as does(the ever improving) Samson Schmitt
    I am classically trained(forgive me...) so its natural for me to use all 4 fingers
    But i've noticed recently that the 3 finger approach has meant more fluidity to my playing certainly as far as joining arpeggios together
    Stu
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    It's worth mentioning, too, that it's often a good idea to try a few fingerings-especially if you're learning a Django tune. My friend is learning Rhythm Futur, and had been using four fingers when I suggested trying two instead; suddenly, it all became much more fluid.

For many solo lines, I'm with Stu-I think a 3 finger approach just sounds smoother-try running a Gm arpeggio off the low E string all the way up the neck both ways...or that opening Em on Montagne...it just sounds right, I think.

Best,
    Jack.