DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy Jazz jam sessions Scottish Highlands

Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others
in Europe Posts: 186

Hello all, Jamie here from Fort William in Scotland.

I've been playing Jazz Manouche for around fifteen years, though I've loved listening to Django since discovering him in the early 1990s (Django Legacy on UK tv).

A friend and I have started a monthly gypsy swing jam session at the Glenuig Inn - a fairly remote pub in the West Highlands of Scotland. It's on the first Sunday of every month and has been going since the Summer. I've spent years looking for people to play with up here, and finally my prayers were answered when Aurelien moved to the area from Paris and brought his D hole and skills! We have great fun and the music is very well received. All welcome - come and join in!

All the best,

Jamie Hageman

bbwood_98BucoJojo

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Jamie,

Man...where was this note when I was living in Elgin? Fort William is still a bit of a drive from there but we did travel through Oban and Glencoe a few times. Good luck with your jam!

-Bill

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Damn it Bill! Where are you now? I used to play in Glencoe at the Clachaig Inn quite a bit. Well, next time you're up this way, look me up for a jam

Aurelien? You're not talking about Aurelien Bouly...are you?

Amazingly beautiful area and a pint at that place must be extra tasty.

Send links of you guys playing if you got some.

billyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Not Aurelien Bouly, another Aurelien! We don't have any decent recordings yet but have a gig this afternoon and will try to get something. I will add that we are 'enthusiastic amateurs'! Aurelien teaches guitar and I've been playing for thirty years, but we are very much still learning.

Thanks for the pm Bill, maybe one day our paths will cross.

Jamie

billyshakesBuco
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

hi Jamie - great to hear there’s a session running at The Glenuig - I’m sure there must be other musicians nearby - plenty of violin/ fiddle players enjoy gypsy jazz, and there might be an accordion player with the right sensitivities for the music. You’ll know about the young folk player’s centre of excellence at Plockton (https://www.musicplockton.org/the_centre.asp - 40 miles away,I reckon?), surely there will be someone worth contacting there, too. If you’re ever down in the central belt there are established monthly sessions in Edinburgh and (just recommenced) Glasgow , and (much) further north there’s the High Level Hot Club in Lerwick - they might know some players near you on the West coast..

-Andy-

billyshakes

Thanks Andy, all good recommendations there. I've been aware of sessions in Glasgow and Edinburgh, but I've never made it there... yet.

Cheers for now, Jamie

p.s. I've invited Martin Taylor along sometime, as he occasionally visits Mike Vanden Guitars in Acharacle! Now that would be amazing

BucoAndyW