DjangoBooks.com

Belleville 1942 Opening Lick: How?

Stamos666Stamos666 New
edited November 2022 in Repertoire Posts: 41

hey all,

i hope all is well! i’m trying to learn this opening lick in the 1942 version of Belleville: https://youtu.be/LsZNJ69JoxI

the version i play goes like this:

10p9 - 8- 7 on the high e;

10-7 on the B;

7 on the G;

9-8-7 on the D, then 10 on B, back to 7 on D, then 7 on B.

It sounds really similar but i’ve always wondered if i had the fingering right. can anyone confirm? thank you!!!

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

I think that's right. I play it the same way, almost (except picking every note on the high e, instead of the pull off)

• edited November 2022 Posts: 4,735

What I hear in the first phrase on high E is he's picking in 8th note pattern over the triplet phrase. So you pick D, Db ends up being pull-off then C and B are picked again.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Stamos666Stamos666 New
    edited November 2022 Posts: 41

Yep, that's how I have it above!

On the high E, pick the 10th fret, pull off to the 9th fret, then you pick the 8th and 7th frets. Then proceed accordingly! Such a great lick.

Buco
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,457

If you pick four times then you can exit the E string on an upstroke (sometimes more comfortable). Not sure about a pull-off, the way Django would have two-fingered this - with a sliding left hand - could make the first notes sound slurred anyway

Buco