DjangoBooks.com

Zoom Lessons

Purchased an Altamira M30 and working through Alex Simon's "Introduction to Gypsy Jazz" on Udemy. Seems like mastering even the basics is tough; human input seems almost critical for learning this.

Any recommendations for teachers who specifically teach traditional Gypsy Jazz on Zoom? Preferably someone with both good rhythm and lead technique who can help instill good habits in me as well.

Comments

• Stephane may still do it. I do not regret one minute of my time with him.

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

Stephane Wrembel is still teaching via Zoom/Skype, and I also can't recommend him enough. He's a tremendous teacher on top of being an absolute monster player.

• cmcmurphy22cmcmurphy22 New Bumgarner, Zwinakis

I currently take lessons from Stephane. He’s an amazing teacher and will absolutely get you properly walking this path. Throw all the books away and just go with what he teaches you. Trust me.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭

Do you usually record your lesson to go back over it later or just try to absorb as much as you can?

• bbwood_98bbwood_98 Brooklyn, NyProdigy Vladimir music! Les Effes. . Its the best!

Hello all,

I think there are a lot of people doing this sort of thing, and so I thought I'd recommend another person - Having said this I took in person with Stephane and had the privilege of playing with him a bit over the years; he fixed my playing as a rhythm player and made me rethink a lot of things including physical relationships to the instrument.

in the 'lineage' perhaps is @Sami Arefin; who studied with Stephane (and others) as well - a great player and super nice guy as well. He's been teaching at Django in June for many years.

The grandaddy of this perhaps - the amazing Robin Nolan who has a sorts of ways to study, in person, gatherings, and online.

I wonder if master teacher @dennis would consider doing some online lessons? I'm sure he's capable, but wonder if he would have the time.

I am sure there are others .

Best of luck!

Ben

• cmcmurphy22cmcmurphy22 New Bumgarner, Zwinakis
    edited December 2022 Posts: 39

We will record the Django solo so I can have it as a reference but I often don’t need it. Stephane teaches the rationale behind the solo and how it’s always connected to harmony through certain shapes. If you understand the notes/harmony/shapes, it becomes something you can more easily figure out by ear.

bbwood_98