DjangoBooks.com

Installing internal piezo

Hello,

Does anyone have any experience installing an internal piezo pickup in an oval hole?

I am a bit handy with guitars and working through F holes, but never an oval hole and navigating the braces like this.

I have a manouche picks mic that I would like to stick on the inside. If I have found the sweet spot on the top, will it be the same underneath?

Comments

• krzyskrzys New

Thank you. Any harm in putting a jack in the lower bout rather than through the tailpiece?

• flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

I wouldn't do it unless it's a cheap instrument that you don't care much about. The wood there is thin. If you bump the cord while it's plugged into the guitar you could crack the wood.

Jangle_Jamie
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

The sides are too thin to support a jack socket and you would risk splitting the sides (which would certainly not be funny, pardon the pun). I have a Shadow double bass pickup fitted to a couple of guitars which sits under the bridge. I then made a small housing for the socket which I glued next to the tailpiece end on the bottom. The downside is there is a wire running down to the socket on the outside. The plus side there is no drilling. If in any doubt, take it/send it to a luthier who is used to doing this. John Le Voi here in the UK has probably fitted hundreds of Bigtones over the years. I have one fitted to my Gitane 370 and both the hole in the top and the tailpiece hole socket is very discreet.

billyshakes

I've seen one of these guitars where luthier put a jack there, on the side of lower bout. Seemed fine. The owner ended up removing the jack because he never used the built in pickup and plugged the hole. When I made that soundport on my guitar, I was actually amazed how tough the wood (maple) on the sides is. But this is my only experience with it and don't take it as advice.

Esthetically I feel much better going through the tail block that the lower bout side.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

The soundport doesn't have take any torquing force, but the jack could be pushed sideways at worst, and every time you insert or remove it you'd be exerting push-pull forces at best.

billyshakeslittlemark
  • krzyskrzys New

Thanks for the tips, guys!