DjangoBooks.com

Sharmat Andersson Project Final Video (Laura)

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I guess I have no idea when it comes to orchestras but the sound of the orchestra seemed a lot BIGGER than what I saw on the screen. Also, wasn't aware of the Budapest Scoring Orchestra, but it is further amazing to be able to do a transoceanic collaboration that easily. They did nice work, as did you Craig. Thanks again for sharing.

Buco
  • ScoredogScoredog Santa Barbara, Ca✭✭✭✭

Thanks Billy!

This was the last song in the session and they had thought the session was only booked 4 hrs and not 5 so they didn't quite finish this song well. I had to accentuate with samples on staccato notes. The long flowing stuff was nailed on the first pass. The jazzy lines I used the first chair guy for the final hour to accentuate what the eleven piece already recorded. I chose an eleven piece string section for the jazzier stuff. I was thinking of going even smaller for a more intimate sound like you often hear on old records. This still sounds fairly large. On the more lush EZ listening stuff I used 30 pieces.

These Eastern European orchestra are quite common now as they are much less expensive than here in the states. If this was a larger funded project I would have done as I have in the past and hired US but this is limited budget so there was no choice.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • edited June 2023 Posts: 4,817

Go with Sarajevo Scoring Orchestra next time. It'll probably be even cheaper. But I'd be rather surprised they are business oriented like that and such a thing exists.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

BSO is simple, their operation is very slick. There are a few orchestras that are common choices. Slovenia, The Czech Republic…Moscow was an option, obviously off the table now. BSO has worked with a number of jazz like artists, I remember Michael Buble, David Foster Steve Tyrell, Stevie Wonder etc. I have not heard of on in Sarajevo but if they exist I’ll check em out for the future.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I think Buco is just rooting for his "home team"...not really sure if there is an actual Sarajevo Scoring Orchestra, though their is certainly a Philharmonic. :-)

I know there is a strong tradition of clarinet players in Budapest playing in a gypsy style (e.g. Andras Puporka below, also Tcha's Budapest Gypsy Orchestra). Then there is the tradition of Czardas as well. I think it is great that you were able to collaborate with them.

ScoredogBucoBillDaCostaWilliams

That comment was a little bit in jest. But it's interesting that you mentioned Slovenia. In the old days of Yugoslavia they were always thought of as the most progressive and forward thinking of all the republics. Sarajevo and Bosnia always had and have a high level musicians but not enough drive to market themselves.

Interestingly, Sarajevo Philharmonic is celebrating a 100 year centennial this year. Also I just read that they're struggling financially. I'll make sure to go to a concert this summer. And not a bad sounding orchestra I'd think. I don't know much about this world of music but they sound pretty tight to me. And not many orchestras around the world are frontend by women;

WillieBillDaCostaWilliams
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

it seems every orchestra struggles to various degrees financially. Jazz has been around long enough now that I would think most decent orchestras can handle it. I have found that many European “scoring” orchestras have great strings and the brass is often hit or miss depending on piece and difficulty. I would be happy to use Sarajevo if they are set up as well as Budapest which seems to have a factory going. Budapest found a hole in the market and are exploiting it. They do a great job at a nice price.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliamsBonesbillyshakes
    edited August 2023 Posts: 880

"A New Set of Strings" is digitally released!

You can hear it here...

https://open.spotify.com/album/3BRjcliivHa3xsYlMtaS5N...

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Link didn't work for me but this does.

Scoredog