DjangoBooks.com

Where do these two finishing licks come from?

Hello my friends,

it's been years since I posted... I have a question: Does anyone know where these licks originate from? Are these Django licks? I've heard Jimmy Rosenberg playing the first of these two licks. But the second one, I can't remember.

Have a great day!

Comments

• Pompe_ojisanPompe_ojisan Tokyo✭✭ Rino van Hooijdonk

Django used the first one all right, for example here:

But this must have been floating around for quite some time though, I'd be very interested if someone knows of a pre-Django example.

The second lick is just a variation going ii / I / vii instead of IV / iii / ii, but I have never heard it in the wild.

wim
  • BentBent New

Yeah, thank you!!!! I knew I heard it from Django :-)

Maybe the second one wasn't used by Django... I definitely heard it somewhere though...

can you post audio clip of the second one for notation challenged among us?

DoubleWhisky
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

The second lick is just a variation going ii / I / vii instead of IV / iii / ii, but I have never heard it in the wild.

It is interesting that you see it as ii/I/vii. I mean, the notes are all enharmonic to the Key of D, but I would have placed the underlying harmony as ii/ I / V (Em7 / D / A7) with the D, B, G, E spelling the Em7 (ii), the A, F#, D spelling the D (I) and then the G, E, C#, A spelling the A7 (V) before resolving home to D.

I guess I get that the vii dim is basically a V7 (b9) and a common sub in this style. Is that the only difference? I'm no theory pro so this is all really just math with music notes for me and trying to backwards calculate what was done.

I definitely heard that before, most likely from Django I'd say.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Pompe_ojisanPompe_ojisan Tokyo✭✭ Rino van Hooijdonk

It is interesting that you see it as ii/I/vii.

I was just writing the triads as they appear in the lick, irrespective of how they function. I agree with you that this sounds like some sort of IV I V I (or ii I V I), and the triads function as upper extensions of these chords.

I guess I get that the vii dim is basically a V7 (b9) and a common sub in this style.

I think it is simpler than this, the vii dim triad (C# E G) is also a rootless V7 chord (A C# E G)

billyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I was just writing the triads as they appear in the lick, irrespective of how they function. I agree with you that this sounds like some sort of IV I V I (or ii I V I), and the triads function as upper extensions of these chords.

Thanks for pointing out the IV. I didn't see that, but you are right. With that E, I guess it would be a G6. Either iim7 or IV6 works, since they are spelled the same. Guess it depends on the bass player.

• Svanis1337Svanis1337 ✭✭✭

The first one is Django's standard ending on Ol' Man River but the second I'm not sure he ever played.