DjangoBooks.com

First GJ Guitar and thumb technique

13»

Comments

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited February 2023 Posts: 6,154

Personally, I couldn't imagine life without thumb chords as they allow you to do so many things that would otherwise be impossible (a lot of cool techniques using the thumb are in the Gypsy Rhythm Book, including pedal tones and smoother voice leading.) It's really helpful with solo guitar stuff as you can free up the other fingers. With that said, sure you can still play any swing tune without them so they're not essential.

I've always wondered if the origin of thumb chords was simply a practical solution from the old days. Playing on steel string guitars with high action would have made barre chords really tough to execute.

You see it a lot with old blues players:

WillieDoubleWhiskybillyshakesvoutoreenie

I've always wondered if the origin of thumb chords was simply a practical solution from the old days. Playing on steel string guitars with high action would have made barre chords really tough to execute.

This makes so much sense. We probably all take for granted how easy it is to locate a professional luthier nowadays.

I also just realized too that I'm one of the people who plays thumb chord while also "barring" my 3rd finger instead of forming out the full chord with my pinky. I've noticed this is more difficult for people with smaller hands and/or who don't have much joint flexibility in their knuckles.