DjangoBooks.com

What do people think of this guitar?

Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Interesting looking guitar. What are people's thoughts on this? The hardware looks very nice, the cracks on the top less so!

Willie

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

The f-holes of Busato guitars I found in the internet have a different position, they are placed left and right of the bridge. The position between bridge and neck I found with Sonora label guitars.

But I'm looking forward to the answers of the experts here.

Jangle_Jamie
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I think it's a bit of a mystery - one or two Sicilian aspects to it, like the neck inlays and, perhaps, the (vaguely familiar) shape & position of the f-holes - - but one or two French aspects like the (easy-to-replace) bridge, tailpiece & enclosed tuners.

For me, who's primarily a clarinettist, there's nothing "Busato" about it at all, but you could ask over on the Facebook B.Busato page.

I could almost maybe even just-about argue that it's related to this Favino:

But if you're looking for a cheap Busato, have a look at the "Auction Bargains" thread elsewhere on this forum, you'll see where they sometimes appear.

-A-

Jangle_Jamie
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

It seems like a popular selling tactic is to use the word "Busato," even if only to say "may be a Busato," "from the workshop of Busato," "probably a Busato," etc.

Jangle_Jamiebillyshakesdjazzy

If it walks like a Busato and talks like a Busato then it's gotta be a Busato.

Jangle_Jamiedjazzy
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

No name, no label, no identification ? It’s got to be a Busato !

wimdjazzyJangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliams

It certainly looks like a good sounding guitar. Just the fact that it's been played so much says something. You seem to be able to handle crack repairs. Does the price work for you? As Andy said, the auction site he follows offers some true bargains from time to time.

Jangle_Jamie
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Maybe we should call it a Bucoto?! It is a good point you make, though about it being played. If it is being played a lot, there is a much higher chance it sounds decent. No guarantee, but then it is just down to negotiating the price of the risk.

BucoJangle_Jamie

There's Bucolo already, someday I wanna get one.

billyshakes
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

If this guitar was £200, I would consider taking a chance on it. Apart from the nice tailpiece and quite nice machine heads, it's a little on the bland/crude side. It could have poor tone, but it could be great. I never like to buy guitars with cracks in the top, even if they are 'stable' and well repaired. Having played classical guitars since I was a teenager, I'm well aware of what a crack can do to tone. I have one gypsy guitar with a crack, but it's next to the fingerboard and doesn't run very far, and I can't imagine it affects the tone in any way.

I will add that I've bought a gypsy guitar from this seller before, and he accepted my much lower offer to my surprise (I think it was listed at £900 and he accepted £500).

I would love to play some more vintage F hole gypsy guitars to get more experience of how they sound and whether it's a tone I need in my life! Some of the old (genuine) F hole Busatos I've seen online look wonderful, but I'm not convinced on their tone.

BucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • djangologydjangology Portland, OregonModerator

Buzato?