DjangoBooks.com

251% increase in Visa fees to come to US!

djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL

Its hard to imagine that this increase will not directly take an irreversible toll on the 'gypsy-jazz' scene in the US. (It applies to Canadians too.) Pls correct me if I am wrong.

Statement by American Federation of Musicians here: https://www.afm.org/2023/02/afm-opposes-proposed-uscis-visa-increases/?utm_source=Cyberimpact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=visas-P2&fbclid=IwAR0Hn1LngzZtJIXuDw7fcrdb9UaFliMEc9j_ihrdnE7FASmVsvMSQHQDnFw

Details here: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2023/01/04/2022-27066/us-citizenship-and-immigration-services-fee-schedule-and-changes-to-certain-other-immigration?fbclid=IwAR31yXMqZMCguk_OJk2x2E7sQHHnxVoGe1pya3wLq7XoGdf9xjcl7dw6T6M#open-comments

The first link provides access to where you can send comments (until March 6) through the Federal Register Portal.

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I saw the topic and thought you were talking about my credit card bill! ha ha

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

This will greatly interfere with the ability of smaller acts getting into the States. If you can, please leave a comment for DHS to see. I hope there is enough of an uproar that the Feds take a step back.

djazzybillyshakes
  • opus20000opus20000

Just go through the Southern border, no one will know or care.

Rip
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Sounds like pretty bad news for Django in June / Andrew Lawrence

All that visa stuff is already crazy expensive for getting the artists over here

djazzy

They'll all have to pass the cost to us. But that's one steep price hike.

Rip
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL

I think it would be a good idea to pass the costs onto students/campers. (Without having the done any math though.😎 ) In fact, I think they should consider getting out the message on their own. "We'll pay more!"

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

This is so sad. It is exactly our genre and others like it that will feel this the worst. As great as these musicians are, their appeal is just not mainsteam enough to generate this sort of revenue. Small performing arts centers that book these sort of acts like the Academy of Music in Northampton for DiJ or other small non-profit organizations that support the arts will be able to offer so much less while still keeping the art affordable for their community. I remember seeing a small Cuban classical quintet at our local theater 2-3 decades ago. I can't imagine they'd be able to perform in the same manner like this. Sad.

• edited May 24 Posts: 4,833

This just sounds like a bunch of bureaucrats saying: we're working too much and too hard, how do we give ourselves a break? Right, let's discourage a bunch of people even considering doing things that'll make us work more.

It's completely bunkers crazy. $1600 a person or $6500 per band. And application is about 20 pages before the required supporting evidence which can amount to 2-300 pages by the time you're done. Who can possibly benefit from that? Aside from people who said we're overworked and overwhelmed so this way we'll bring in about the same money for a lot less work.

I believe they are overworked. But this way you're essentially saying we're hurting so we gotta do this even though it's gonna hurt someone else.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator

Wow, this is terrible news.

And it makes it likely that other countries would in turn retaliate against US artists.

WTF

Will

Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."