DjangoBooks.com

Involuntary Gypsy Jazz Sitar Mod

DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Hi, I've been playing my back then brand new Dupont MD60 for almost exactly 2 years now. I have practiced almost daily since then, often for several hours.

Meanwhile, the string notches inside the bridge of the high E and b strings are much too low. Is this wear normal? These bridges cost over 70€ if bought separatly, do I really have to calculate a new one every now and then?

I have tried to fill the holes with superglue and to grind in shape, but it doesn't feel too good.

Now when I bought it, it came with a higher action second bridge. But when I tried it out, the high E string has a plinky sound like a sitar, although that bridge should be brand new. This is of course most likely due to the string notch.

However due to the history described above I need your advice here: How should I proceed best? I have some scruples to take a file, because I would so probably favor the wear. Maybe take a knife and carefully scratch? Am curious about your experience, thank you!

Buco

Comments

Man I'd probably just take it to the luthier. That was a very nice Norwegian Wood sound tho!

DoubleWhisky
  • jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F
    edited March 2023 Posts: 705

I would be proud of myself if my bridge needed work because I was playing so much. It sounds like it might be too late, but a couple of shims under the bridge might fix your problem. After "grinding, scratching and filling with superglue", you may need some professional help. Have a new bridge made and set up properly by a luthier who knows GJ guitars. Shim when the action gets too low. Make sure you're not playing too aggressively. Hydrating the guitar can keep the top from shrinking or sagging and changing the action. Look on the forum for "To Shim or Not to Shim".

DoubleWhisky

Wow that sounds awesome! So this is the replacement bridge? Safe way is to file down the notch is to use a wound string one gauge up. So just use an old wound G and file down the high E notch. I never had experience where the existing notches would get deeper just by playing the guitar a lot.

DoubleWhiskyjonpowl
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

@jonpowl I tried shimming and actually it really got better with the old bridge, cool! Regarding hydration i have g ot a primitive humidifier sponge inside the case that I keep moist. And yes, I tend to play very aggressively from time to time but that is nothing I want to change to be honest. But in favor of the bridge I learned using rest strokes on that bridge so in the beginning it may have been a little bit over the top...

@Buco yes I also think it sounds really cool but not as default sound all the time haha. Yes, this is the replacement bridge. Thanks for the old string file tip, will test it!

Buco