DjangoBooks.com

Help?

WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New
in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 30

Please can anyone help me figure what Martin's right hand rhythm is doing form 0.36, it's proving too elusive for me to work out. I would appreciate any ideas you may have. Cheers

Comments

• edited March 2023 Posts: 4,737

I hear it but I'm not 100% sure it's that in theory.... his right hand is doing constant 8th note triplets, if you figure 1/4 note = 80bpm or so. But left hand contributes equally by releasing the chord to make this pattern so nice. It's a good one, as Martin said, can't say I've heard this shuffle before.

PS as this is played over 3/4 time, you end up playing constant 8th notes

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Martin is a beast of a rhythm player. That right hand is just so strong and loose.

Isn't this rhythm just a gypsy rumba feel like Hono demonstrates here? Martin seems to play a few more passing chords in his example, but I've heard him play like this on other video clips.

BillDaCostaWilliamsBuco

That's it. I was gonna record something just to demo a basic groove but Hono got it covered. I have those lessons too. Martin is so damn good. He and that guitar sound incredibly amazing.

• WmTBallardWmTBallard U.K.New

Thanks to you both. The Hono video breaks it up well and without the ambiguity. At least I now know what I have to sit down and practise. My only concern is whether I'll live long enough before I nail it! Thanks again

Buco

I learned the chords to it. I'll see if I can make a video. Then, for a small fee, I'll let you in on my secrets. Umm, no not really, but I will try to make a video.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams

Hi Buco, I have the chords also. When I've got around to writing them out, I'll send what I've got and maybe we can compare? Thanks again for your valued input

Buco
  • edited March 2023 Posts: 4,737

I'll add a few more things before I make it public but this is the gist of it

billyshakes

Bravo Buco!

Apart from an 7th augmented 5th, that is pretty much what I have. What I don't have however, is the right hand technique. You have broken it down into bite-size pieces which I will work on. If I have any problems, I'll get back to you and maybe arrange a Zoom lesson. Tanks again my friend.

Buco

You mean that G7 with augmented sound? Yeah I wondered if I should write it with +5 instead of #5. It has the sound of aug chord but they usually don't include flat 7th so I decided to leave it as 7#5. I might change it...

Yeah man, I'm here if you need something. Would love to help but there really isn't anything else to it aside from just keeping at it.

There's no need to change it. I meant to say I completely missed the #5, playing instead a straight 7th.

What this whole thing opens up, and highlights for me are the voice leading and chromatic harmony options; depending on whether the progression is ascending or descending. I think my ear training has jumped up a couple of levels! Thanks again for your input - Will

Buco