DjangoBooks.com

Gypsy jazz in art

AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.
edited April 2023 in Welcome Posts: 599

I noticed that one of my favourite Scottish artists, Jack Morrocco, has been painting gypsy jazz street bands in various cities in Southern Europe.

( it looks like the same band to me, but that's maybe another story )

He's a well known and collected artist, and he also has a collection of guitars & instruments which he incorporates in his still-lifes.

p.s. you'll have to sell all your guitars to afford one of his paintings :-)

Any other paintings of gypsy jazz players out there??

-A-

BillDaCostaWilliamsAzazzellbillyshakesWillieBucofauves01DoubleWhisky

Comments

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭
    edited April 2023 Posts: 225

I have made a couple of gypsy jazz and jazz based paintings. All copyright to this image is held by the artist..., meaning me. I hope you enjoy this.

AzazzellBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesBucoJangle_Jamiefauves01DoubleWhiskyAndyW
    HCQ
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Is that Wrembel on the right?

• HCQHCQ Northeast NJ✭✭✭

Yes, with James Robbins and Jonathan Joubert.

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
    HCQ

Stephane's gotta good stank face on.

DeuxDoigts_TonnerreBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, Gitane 255, 270, 310, 370, 500, Gallato RS1939, Hodson 503, JWC O hole, Alves de Puga MCC nylon

That's a brilliant painting!!!! I love it. How is it painted and with what paints?

Buco

I agree, the textures seem spot on amazing. Is this your hobby or you're a professional?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • scotscot Virtuoso

Tony Green of New Orleans/Venice and Roberto Rosenman of Toronto are both renowned painters who are also excellent gypsy jazz guitarists.

AndyW
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

I'm pretty sure part of this new painting by Jack Morrocco - "Reasons to be Cheerful, Part IV " - is a straight-up tribute to Django & the Hot Club. I'm not sure what the other musical references are . It's an expensive piece, though.

BillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Thanks for sharing! I was thinking that image looked a bit like a stamp (with the 42 in the corner), but I couldn't find any 42 centime stamp or similar with that picture. Maybe a nod to Swing '42? Or maybe that photo was taken in that year?

I wonder if the woman on a horse is Lady Godiva? Or, being named Reasons to be Cheerful, maybe the artist was watching Betsy Russell in "Private School?" Ha ha....expensive piece indeed.

AndyWBillDaCostaWilliams

Here's one of the man himself I did a couple years ago. I used one of Django's famous photos as a reference.

BillDaCostaWilliamsJangle_JamiebillyshakesBucoWillie