DjangoBooks.com

Old German archtops

Comments

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Here's my 1959 Hofner President, number 137. John Le Voi did a neck reset and made a nice new bridge for it about fifteen years ago. The pickups are a bit loose and vibrate, but I've had rubber bands around them which works! It lives in a nice Hiscox case, but here is the original case. The guitar belonged to my grandad Walter 'Jumbo' Reeves - he played double bass and guitar in local jazz bands in Devon after the war.

DoubleWhiskyAndyWWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsBucobillyshakesstuology
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

@Jangle_Jamie: what a beautiful instrument!

Jangle_JamieBillDaCostaWilliams
  • stuologystuology New
    edited August 2023 Posts: 196

I have two Hofners, a beautiful New President which I bought new about twenty years ago - and is my 'Sunday best' guitar - and a 1962 Senator: note the headstock on the Senator, probably the closest I'll ever get to a Selmer! The dots are a G6/9 arp.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliamsAndyW

@stuology: really good looking!

Would love to hear your guitars and @Jangle_Jamie's thin one.

The extravagant designs:

Hoyer "Bianka"

Violin guitar, made by one of the Todt brothers

Migma "Sinfonia", a Todt built guitar too

Hoyer "Fantastik"

Jangle_JamieBucoBillDaCostaWilliams

Tubular!

Willie
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

That Hoyer "Fantastik" should have been played by Zamfir!

Willie
    edited September 2023 Posts: 826

My latest flea market find, 20 €! Not archtop, but at least with arched back:

There ist a label inside with model and serial number, I will do some research when I'm back home with the guitar.

Edit:

Model HAS-DO1-N

Serial number M0509-0025

According to the Höfner homepage "M" is standing for 2011, built september 5th, 0025 maybe meaning that the instrument was no. 25 of the day.

The guitar was sold in the shops for120-145 €. It has a laminated spruce top, back and sides are mahogany, probably laminated as well. Encapsulated mechanics, rosewood fretboard and bridge, the latter being compensated. Good sustain, warm sound - all in all not bad for 20€.

billyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsJangle_Jamie
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

20 euros! Excellent. I nearly bought a very nice Japanese classical guitar last month from an antique/junk shop. It had ancient strings on it but I could tell it sounded great. I ended up deciding I just couldn't buy another guitar - I could hear my wife's reaction!!! Someone will have got a very nice guitar for not much. They also had an old Framus F hole archtop thiin body with a giant headstock, but it didn't really do it for me. If anyone's interested, the shop is the Grantham Antiques Centre in Grantham, Lincolnshire.

BillDaCostaWilliamsWillie