DjangoBooks.com

Looking after my Guitar

Hello,

I have an Altamira M03 "Grande Bouche", in the Antique finish. I love it. I want to keep it looking beautiful, but worry that just any random polish/cleaning will damage it.

Does anyone know what cleaning will be best for it? I'm sure my sweat isn't great for the finish...

Any info on the finish and what would be best for it would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

M

Comments

If it has a standard, thick modern lacquer finish, I would guess any standard guitar polish should be fine (?). If it has a French polish finish or similar lightly applied by hand, I would probably ask a luthier what to use (and they may say use nothing). Personally, I don't really do anything aside from using a microfiber cloth to address fingerprints before a gig (if they're excessive)...I think "sweat marks" on the back add a bit of character as well and when I see them on a used guitar, it's not a concern at all because I know someone was actually playing the guitar. Same with finger marks/scuffing below the high E near the bridge, which to me signifies a player once owned it.