AnkiDroid - spaced repetition memorization

AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
edited May 2023 in Gypsy Rhythm Posts: 174

Lately I've been trying AnkiDroid spaced repetition to memorize chord charts:

Comments

How is it working for you?

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Interesting. I have used spaced repetition for foreign language vocabulary learning and also taught it to prospective grad students for GRE vocab prep. However, I never thought about using it for chord progressions. But, it makes sense and I guess I've unintentionally done it by adding it to my intermittent practice routine. Thanks for sharing.

• AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited May 2023 Posts: 174

• Made me realize how much I rely on muscle memory when playing rhythm, instead of consciously thinking of the chords.
    • I really like the fact that you can use the full power of a desktop computer to make the cards (with MP3s, screenshots, PDFs), and then just sync them to the phone for review on the go. Stuff like:

Question: Danse Norvegienne chords ?

Answer:

• I find it to be a good use of the 'wasted small times' like waiting in a long line at a cashier, or waiting for the kids to get in the car.

Buco

Does it break down a chart somehow?

When I'm learning a new song, I'm looking at the chords movements, how they relate and try to remember them in sections, 2/5s and what not.

For example, in the Danse Norvegienne I'm thinking 1 going to ø2 twice (I usually play Eø) then 1625 (in the key) then minor 251 to Em, to 5 (of the root) twice, root going to 51 of G to Gm and lastly another 1625 back to 1. But when I play it it's all "muscle memory", nothing wrong with that, I don't think.

• RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

I like to memorize melodies like this. For example, if I’m playing all of me, for the first 3 notes, I just think 1,5, 3. Then it doesn’t matter what key you’re in, giving you more freedom. It also makes it easier to play the melody at any place on the fretboard. In general, it’s like a numerical reduction. The more you can reduce the numerical succession, the easier it is to remember. Also, harmonic reduction, for example, a 1 chord is the same as a 6min, a 4 is the same as a 2min a 5maj is the same as a 3 min. Now you really only have 3 chords to deal with.

BucoAzazzellBillDaCostaWilliams

Deeper exploration of that is awaiting me at some point.

To tie the two together, what helps me memorize the chords charts is this...melody itself can guide me through the chart. Well, first I do what I described in the earlier post. But at some point, after doing this for a while, you just know what chord to play just by knowing and hearing the melody in your head. Now, sometimes I can't recall the melody on the spot for some songs that aren't as common and I'm unsure of the chords. So I figure out where the melody sits as relating to the key. Just a first few notes. Like the All Of Me example you showed @Rip . And usually if I remember where the melody starts, after playing those first few notes, the chords will start to flow.

• AzazzellAzazzell CanadaNew
    edited June 2023 Posts: 174

Anki just stores text, mp3s and images, so you can make up your own cards whichever way you like. For ex, you could break it down something like:

Card 1: Danse Norvegienne Bars 1 and 2

14, twice

Card 2: Danse Norvegienne Bars 3-4

Card 3: Danse Norvegienne Bars 5-6 and 7-8

251 in Em going to 5 of root, twice

Buco
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Where did the F#m7b5 B7 Em A7 thing come from?

To me it sounds more like Adim7 % A7 %

• RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

Agree, Buco. The more it’s internalized, the less you need these things and visa versa.