DjangoBooks.com

'other' amps

Comments

• Colin PerryColin Perry Montreal, QCNew
    Tom--

I have the combo amp, with the 12" speaker pointing towards the floor. I think the Acoustic Image/Raezer's Edge combo is favored most by straightahead jazz players like Jimmy Bruno, so I'm not sure how it would work as a faithful *acoustic* reproduction of your sound.

--Colin
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    is there any real difference in the circuitry of an "acoustic" amp and that of an amp for electric playing, or is the difference mainly in the speaker configuration (ie tweeters to handle high frequencies)?

I ask because I am thinking of getting an acoustic image amp head and then getting a regular cabinet for electric playing and an "acoustic" cabinet for mic/piezo/transducer acoustic amplification. Can the acoustic image head do this?
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    [quote="Bob Holo"]Is that Jon's Hommage?[/quote]

Yes...it is! IMO, the Hommage is the best guitar that Dell Arte makes. That's why I stock it....you get a real Favino sound without dropping 6K. We just got a Jimmy Rosenberg in, which is essentially a higher end version of the Hommage (better hardware, wood, bigtone, etc.) It really has that old Favino sound...with high action it sounds just like Tchan Tchou's Favino.

See:

[quote="Bob Holo"]And hey, and who is that rhythm guy? He has pretty good form...[/quote]

I'll give you three guesses. There's actually two rhythm guys...so I'll give you six guesses :D
  • Bob HoloBob Holo Moderator
    The rhythm section looks like "Mike & Ted's Excellent Adventure" though I'm cheating on that... I knew you guys were coming up and I would have been there but I was out of town at a tradeshow.

Yep, Hommages are wonderful. The weakest one I've ever played was good. The best was amazing. I had a chance to play Billy's "Jacques" this past weekend - there is a difference - but not a night and day difference. Hommages definitely get you most of the way there for half the cost - I'm glad you carry them.
    You get one chance to enjoy this day, but if you're doing it right, that's enough.
    Nick--

You could certainly do that, but knowing your taste in electric guitar tone, I suspect you might be disappointed with the results.

--Colin
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    why Colin? could you be more specific? thanks,

Nick
    Nick--

There's a guy in town here who uses an acoustic image head with the reazer's edge cabinet. He plays either a Gibson Johnny Smith or a Super 400CES. When used with a cabinet like the Raezer's edge, and an electric pickup the tone is pretty reminescent of a polytone. It works for him, but it's a bit too hi-fi sounding for me. I hope that helps.

--Colin
  • StringswingerStringswinger Santa Cruz and San Francisco, CA✭✭✭✭ 1993 Dupont MD-20, Shelley Park Encore
    I have an Acoustic Image Clarus head and two different Raezer's Edge cabs, A New York 8 and a Stealth 12 ER. The New York 8 is good for bop, but lacks the highs for Gypsy Jazz. The Steath 12 ER is great for Gypsy Jazz (and bop) but the whole combo (head and cabinet) weighs 42 pounds.

So....I use my AER Compact 60 for Gypsy jazz which sounds great with a bigtone and sounds great with lots of my archtops as well...and weighs less than 20 pounds.

The Schertler DYN G sounds lousy with the AER (I've messed with one) but I've heard John Jorgenson get a great sound with his DYN G through a Schertler Unico. But John would sound great playing a Tele through a Pignose! LOL! After all tone is in the fingers when the day is done. Its not the tool, its the mechanic. Its not the arrow, its the Indian.
    "When the chord changes, you should change" Joe Pass
  • nwilkinsnwilkins New
    Thanks Colin - you don't think it'd be possible to get a good vintage tone with the AI even with an old de-armond p/u?
    I personally think that vintage tone is 90% amp and 10% pickup. If you have a nice 40's-50's tube amp, then any guitar with a single coil pickup will sound good. The truly great pickups like the dearmonds, charlie Christian, and P-90's just have a warmth and clarity that makes them stand out against the other vintage single-coil pickups. What guitar are you using for electric?