DjangoBooks.com

Adrien Moignard’s and Diego Imbert’s new album ( and gear)

JojoJojo London UK

I enjoyed listening to this and was wondering if just a bass and guitar release has been done before in a GJ setting? ( the new album is called Django’s Songs).

Also, what kind of guitar is he using in this clip? No tailpiece and a round hole.

Thanks in advance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgpE7dfHDLs

DoubleWhiskydjazzy

Comments

• adrianadrian AmsterdamVirtuoso

Check out the album "Rainbow Duets." It's entirely guitar-plus-bass duets, played by various Selmer 607 guitarists including Adrien Moignard. The tunes aren't Django compositions, but they use a gypsy guitar.

Adrian

DoubleWhisky
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I saw Remi Harris do a gig with just a bass player and it was brilliant. I don't know if he's released any recordings with that setup.

DoubleWhiskyJojo
    always learning
  • flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

Have you seen this video? There was a post about this back in March. He's playing a nylon string guitar, and it seems like he's been playing it in other setting recently. You can see the headstock pretty well in some spots of the video, but I can't quite make out the name.

Jojo
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia
    edited August 2023 Posts: 139

This is the best screenshot I could make. It seems to be called something like "A(?)wood".

P.S.: i plugged in my old monitor because the newer one decided to quit, and the old one seems to be very bright, on the phone I can't see anything on that picture sorry...

But there clearly are the letters A*wood visible, but the second letter is unreadable because of a shadow of the tuner

Jojo
  • JojoJojo London UK

The interesting thing about the YouTube algorithm is that I’m pretty sure not once has Rainbow Duets come up in the ‘Up next’ section. Just been lead on to Gwen Cahue, who I’ve never heard of before, and a great version of Blues En Mineur.

Thanks all

• alberto250579alberto250579 pordenone italy✭✭✭

Yes: bass and guitar release has been done before.

rudolfochristDoubleWhiskyWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsJojo
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew
  • stuologystuology New
    edited August 2023 Posts: 196

One of my favourite albums in this genre is a bass and guitar duo, Gitane (1979).

The guitarist is Christian Escoudé, a bit of a neglected figure now but successful in his day.

And the bassist is Charlie Haden, who is up there with the greatest jazz bassists (for those not familiar with his work, he was the bassist on The Shape of Jazz to Come, one of the most important ever jazz albums, and recorded with many legends as well as having a successful career as a band leader).

Not a bad combination - and a great album.

JojobillyshakesWillieBillDaCostaWilliamsBuco

It would be interesting to know if the Gitane album in some way inspired Charlie Haden to record Beyond the Missouri Sky with Pat Metheny. Ghali Hadefi once told me that Rainbow Duets was in part inspired by Beyond the Missouri Sky. Which is a beautiful album

Williestuology
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

I think you mean "The shape of Jazz to come" by Ornette Coleman. Rather than "the shape of things to come" by George Benson. That had Ron Carter and Richard Davis on bass.