DjangoBooks.com

Gallato guitars in 2023

Hello,

What's the consensus on Gallato guitars these days? I understand that they are made in China and finished in France, while being advertised as 'made in France'. Is that right? Other than that, how do they sound and how have they held up over time? How are they compared to an Altamira?

I am attracted to their models due to the thick neck, particularly the RS-39. It seems that most cheaper guitars have a modern C shape (or worse!).

Comments

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

I have a 2009 RS1939 Angelo Debarre oval model. I refinished the top with french polish. You're right about the neck shape - quite chunky and square, and more faithful to the original Selmer design. Sound wise, it really cuts through when played hard with a lot of volume. The tone is very dry, a little dull with not as much sustain as my other modern guitars. It most definitely sounds authentic, but I find subtle delicate playing can get a bit lost.

Where are you based krzys? As always, best to try a guitar first. I played a top end Altamira **** Birds Eye maple oval hole last year, and I really wasn't that impressed - not quite as loud or responsive as I'd hoped. It did have quite nice playability though. It was good, but I find the Gallato has a bit more going for it. Personal choice though!

I see Serge Gallato's latest version uses a laminate flamed maple back and sides which looks wonderful. I love the look of his hardware too - nice closed brass tuners and tailpiece that are better and more authentic than many.

Cheers, Jamie

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Oh yes, I forgot to add, it's quite a heavy guitar. A lot of that weight seems to come from the big chunky walnut neck and the large neck block inside the body - surely overkill? I think the back and sides are probably a bit on the thick/heavy side too. Consequently, you don't 'feel' the sound through the body as much as you do on some other lighter guitars.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliams
  • GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

Speaking of Gallato, has anybody purchased/tried these very cool-looking tuners?

https://www.gallato.com/mecaniques-cordiers-c102x3212757

Yes I have a set of Gallato machine heads on my De Rijk guitar. They work well and look excellent!