DjangoBooks.com

Grappelli-Django Camp

djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL
edited September 2023 in Europe Posts: 66

What have experiences been for those who have attended the camp, headed by Tim Kliphuis? https://www.grappellidjangocamp.com/

Not big on big name teaching staff but it seems to present a nice balance of instruments, i.e., not too guitar heavy.

What is music group/class size like? what are accommodations like? getting to and fro airports?

Just wondering.

🤪

Comments

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

I've been twice in 2014 and 2015 when the camp was held in De Glind so I can't comment on the new venue but I know a couple of people recommend it and from the photos I've seen it looks great. As far as the balance of instruments goes I found it great to meet players from all walks of life - not just guitarists but fiddlers, double bass players and even a fan of tenor guitars and banjos.

I enjoyed playing with the string players the most, I'm a struggling guitarist, and found that they seemed to appreciate having a guitarist to pump out the rhythm which also meant that my weaknesses weren't on display to my guitar playing peers.

It also gave me the chance to forge friendships with people from across the world and I'm still in touch with many of them.

As for the tutors, they are experts in their field and happy to pass along what they know, however - and this is not a criticism - they can fall into two camps. Those who understand this music and can convey via musical terminology and those who have learned the traditional way by watching their elders. This was illustrated at a workshop in England where one of the top gypsy players had to ask someone else the name of the chord he was playing . That doesn't make him less of a teacher but rather you/I have to pay attention, watch and imitate.

I think the mindset you approach the workshops is key to learning. The second time I attended I received some criticism from one of the tutors and I childishly took the huff and went off to my room to sulk. However, on reflection I thought "why did I come to the camp if not to improve and how do I do that - by accepting some criticism in a constructive way".

The class sizes are small - around 8 players - and led by a tutor. You'll also get organised into small groups and work on arranging a particular song for the concert event which gives you the chance to perform.

When I went the Uk was still in the EU - before Brexit - so travel was relatively easy. I'd fly from Glasgow to Amsterdam, collect a rental car and drive for about an hour to De Glind. If I was going again I'd do the same thing.

Just to end, I thoroughly recommend attending the camp. I was due to attend in 2016 but due to illness I couldn't attend. However all the people who attended that years camp got together and made a video of them playing "It don't mean a thing, if it ain't got that swing! and sent to me with their best wishes and hopes that I survived the illness and treatment. Thankfully I did.

Good luck.

4everfreedjazzyBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
    always learning
  • djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL

Thanks crookedpinky! Yeah, I'm not a big stickler for names on a list -- if a person can communicate musical ideas well, verbally or non-verbally, I appreciate it. And instrumental variety is a big 👍️ for me. I'd like to try making it out there eventually & get a day two in Rotterdam (or Antwerp) as well.

Just thought I'd note that the camp these days is in Biezenmortel -- setting looks beautiful. Its also a short trip (6 minutes by train which runs... hourly! if my research is correct) from Tilburg, a town which probably has great accommodations & stuff. Now that's a very feasible commute. And I imagine campers are doing it. It would be great if the Grappelli-Django Camp website provided more info or some tips & recommendations about travel & stay. It could be a great selling point...though probably something an email inquiry would easily solve.

• crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole

As far as I know accommodation is included in the price.

djazzy
    always learning
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Yeah, looks like it is in a former monastery. I've been to a conference center like this just across the border in Germany. Similar idea...take an old monastery and convert it to a business retreat/conference center for groups large and small. Probably will have a similar vibe to Django in June and sounds cool!

Tilburg also used to have a Gipsy Festival with some great music and acts there for many years, though I'm not certain if it is still going on.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

I think it wasn't yet at De Glind in 2014- at that time it was in Oostvoorne, and there were fewer than 100 attendees. It was just called "Grappelli Camp" then and the violinists were the majority. The guitar teachers were good- Thomas Baggerman and Reineir Voet. I also have fond memories of the late Max Bedouelle on violin.

In 2015 it moved to De Glind, and renamed to Grappelli-Django camp. Nousche was teaching that year, if I recall correctly, and he brought his Selmer. It was great to see his rhythm style up close, best in the biz. He's not bad melody player too, even though you never get to see that with the Rosenberg Trio.

It's fun, recommended, and it's not such a sausage fest as Samois and DIJ can be.

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsdjazzylittlemark

Apologies, I went in 2015 and 2016 not 14 and 15 as I stated.

always learning
  • 4everfree4everfree Norn IronNew Gypsy Guitar :)