DjangoBooks.com

(Sorry) Wegen vs Clayton Picks

4everfree4everfree Norn IronNew Gypsy Guitar :)

Hi,

Disclaimer #1: Before I start I just want to say that these are my SUBJECTIVE feelings and opinions and my ears are my ears!(Can't hear anything above 12kHz)

A funny thing happened this week when I found on my (MESSY) desk a small tear-shaped 1.52mm Clayton Acetal pick and had an idea... why not try it with my Altamira?

The results were SHOCKING! The sound was so snappy and midrange-trebly(ish) full of overtones (and adequately bassy on lower strings) I could not believe it was the same guitar. But it's just too small...

Here is a video I made with me playing (very sloppy)- so, please forgive me: https://streamable.com/ohi1wn

Purchased  Clayton Acetal Standard 1.90mm Regular size picks and reshaped one of them exactly as Wegen Big City... I did NOT like it - too much low end (Wegen-like sound - yes, to my ears). Took another one and this time I made it POINTY like the tear shape and now GOT that sound - snappy(I call it GYPSY) sound. My wife is constantly reminding me that this guitar is too loud! Stop it! 😂

Just want to add I have tried ALL possible "Fancy" picks from 1.5mm - 2.5mm and liked none... except Wegen but now... Im sorry... wegen is waiting for better days...

More to come

Disclaimer #2. If you are from USA and the only way to make you feel better is to insult other people - please refrain. Thanks

Comments

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Is this what AI does? Frankly, after such a crappy post and web site, you couldn't give me one of these cheap looking picks.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Different (rest) strokes for different folks....

• 4everfree4everfree Norn IronNew Gypsy Guitar :)

Appreciate Your rather not nice feedback... have a lovely life!

• 4everfree4everfree Norn IronNew Gypsy Guitar :)

My rest stroke is the same. The picks are different. Also appreciate Your comment! Thank You

No worries, man. Mine wasn't a critique of yours. If you find the sound you hear and like, go for it. We all have our own story to chase, and that was what I meant. If it works for you, that's all that counts. The (rest) part was just playing with words.

All that said, I don't see me doing like Nous'che does in this video, but it is awesome that he does it.

4everfreelittlemark

🧐

• RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

”Listening for the secret, searching for the sound” - Bobby Petersen

I personally enjoy the journey of experimenting with different picks, in particular. I watched Bireli on electric the other night and he was constantly adjusting his tone nob. On acoustic, a pick is like EQ, the thicker the more bass, the thinner the more treble. Dialing in your preference can constantly change depending on your environment. It is nice to settle on one pick and move on, but loving your tone is the most important thing. Go for it!✌️

4everfree

Rip, I'd agree. I'd even go so far as to say different picks for different guitars. Maybe one matches better with the inherent characteristics of one guitar, but not so much with another.

There is the comfort factor of holding a pick (does it turn, is it comfortable, etc) just as much as there is the tone it produces. I've tried some picks that I enjoy the sound, but I don't like the attack or the playability. I try to make it work, but it just doesn't

Just like some aren't bothered by the Wegen "click" and others, once they hear it in their playing, can't unhear it. We're all creatures of habit, but if we never try anything new, it might mean we lose the opportunity to find something better. Like the OP.

rudolfochristBuco
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

To me comfortability is also important. I’ve used picks that I liked the sound, but it didn’t feel good to hold. Right now I use a 2.5 Wegan and I don’t mind the pick noise, which I never hear while jamming with others.