DjangoBooks.com

Djangofest Mill Valley (Marin County, California) Sept. 28-Oct. 1

jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

Djangofest Mill Valley is happening soon, Thurs. thru Sun., Sept. 28-Oct. 1. There are some nice performers, including Tim Kliphuis, Jimmy Grant, the Duved Dunayevsky Daniel Garlitsky Quartet, and the Bina Coquet Trio with Jose Seifarth, Simon Planting and Florian Cristea. Workshops and jams in the morning and afternoon. Mill Valley is a wonderful California town, with great restaurants and lodging. Be sure and check out the Mill Valley Market and their impressive selection of vintage wine, single malt Scotch, Japanese whiskey, etc.

https://www.throckmortontheatre.org/djangofest-2023

Buco

Comments

• Dave_PDave_P Kensington, CANew Altamira M30D

John, thanks for posting this - I've never been, since I only got into Gypsy during covid when they had the festival on pause. Do people just jam freely around the area, or are the jams organized?

• jonpowljonpowl Hercules, CA✭✭✭ Dupont MD-100, Altamira M01F

I've seen and played in jams at Old Mill Park. I'm pretty sure Scoredog brought his band one year and set up on the town square. As I recall, some locals showed up with amps and drums, and made it difficult to co-exist, even though they were playing jazz, too. Mill Valley is probably the one city in the bay area you can leave your guitar discreetly in your car without a lot of worry, but don't take my word for it. I would take my Cigano and leave the MD-100 at home.

• pdgpdg ✭✭
    edited September 2023 Posts: 466

I played in the 2008 Djangofest Mill Valley, and back then at least, there were lots of jams in the park, and also in the parking lot right next to the Throckmorton. The top performers -- e.g., Gonzalo, Andreas, etc. -- sometimes sat outside in that parking lot and jammed. There was a famous bar across the street (since closed) that also had jams.

• Dave_PDave_P Kensington, CANew Altamira M30D

Cool. Then I think I'm going to bring my guitar on the Friday and just hang out and see what happens. I'll be wearing my Gibson hat and playing the guitar in my profile pic.