DjangoBooks.com

Pros & Cons of Short scale (650 mm or less) vs Long scale (670 mm or more)

13»

Comments

This is a great point. I don't have extensive experience with this but it's usually considered that solid back and sides will make for a guitar sound with richer overtones while laminated b/s will have more forward, fundamental sound.

nomadgtr
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BonesBones Moderator

A 14 fret short scale will move the bridge location and braces on the top but it is doable.

• nomadgtrnomadgtr Colorado Bumgarner, Marin, Holo, Barault

I have had a similar experience with my Marin which is solid walnut back and sides. Sweeter with interesting overtones compared to my Holo or Barault. But they all sound great, just very different from each other.

• gumby705gumby705 Mount Dora, Florida✭✭

I am starting to wonder if the original idea of Mario Maccaferri was to purposely isolate the sounds of the top by using laminate construction on the back and sides, thus reducing the overtones produced by the back and sides.

That being said, I wonder if the lamination process and the combinations of woods used in lamination overtime has become better acoustically.

Different wood selections for lamination also seem to have different tonal qualities.(National resophonics mahogany laminates versus maple laminates )

Some flattop guitar makers in order to make a more drier sound for their guitars have turned to laminate backs. ( Decophonic guitars by Beard)

I also need a book on Selmer Maccaferri guitars to learn more what they were after when they initially designed the Maccaferri guitar.

Buco