DjangoBooks.com

Worthwhile guitar trade (Gitane - Altamira) ?!

DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

I was thinking of downsizing, and swapping my Gitanes, DG-250 AND DG-250M for this Altamira at a nearby store:

Is it worth it?!?!

The Gitanes are in great shape, even though I got them both used cheap years ago.

Is this M01F a "cheap" version? It does not have the same inlays as the one here:

I got these mainly as travel guitars, so won't have to take my better ones when traveling.

I liked the Altamira tone better than the DGs, much drier.

Comments

• alexhunteralexhunter Fort Worth TxNew

I can’t speak to how these compare to Gitane, but I played one of these f-hole models at “the guitar studio” in Fort Worth TX and thought it was pretty impressive for the price. I’m not sure if the exact model, but I believe the one I played went for around 1700usd. It was loud but pretty balanced sounding and played easily.

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

"loud but pretty balanced sounding and played easily"

I own an Altamira M 01 f and I can only agree with that. It has kind of an "oldschool" sound but feels "modern" in your hands. As far as I know, Altamira sometimes varies details like inlays without changing the construction of the instrument. Mine is from 2022 and has square neck inlays, the dot inlays should belong to an earlier construction year.

• DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
    edited December 2023 Posts: 177

Thanks for the replies. One negative thing about the Altamira was it seemed cheaper made than the Gitanes. I don't know what these spots on the neck are (paint wearing off?! By design?!) and you could see dried glue coming out of the mustache pieces for the bridge.

The Gitanes, what ever one can say about them, are at least flawlessly put together, appearance wise and nothing has worn off, all the years I have them.

• edited December 2023 Posts: 81

No clue on the manufacturing quality of an Altamira M01F but speaking as someone who owns a DG-250M and an Altamira M10, I can say quite equivocally that the M10 is far more "authentic" in terms of feel and sound quality to what is typically found in other Selmer-style guitars. The DG-250M was a great guitar when I first started out, still has the slimmest profile neck I've played on for a Selmer-style guitars so it was very comfortable for someone like me who was more accustomed to electrics and acoustic archtops; that said, it ultimately became more of a hindrance to my rest stroke technique/proficiency and it wasn't until I spent money on a Dupont that I realized the full extent of the Gitane's limitations.

That said, 2 Gitane's for 1 Altamira seems like overkill and if they're both truly in great condition, that store's def making out in the long run.