DjangoBooks.com

Zigeunerfest Darmstadt 1979 part 1 & 2

WillieWillie HamburgNew
edited December 2023 in History Posts: 826

German documentation about an attempt of creating an encounter between Sinti and Gadje. With fantastic music, eloquent local politicians, hopeful but sceptical gypsies, children's prejudices about gypsies, and the frequent use of the Z-word. The festival was featuring, among others, Dunja and Bobby Falta,  Biréli Lagrène, Tchavolo Schmitt, Martin Weiss, Hans’che Weiss, Vadi Mettbach, Schmitto Kling, Alfred Lora, Markus Reinhardt …

AndyWDoubleWhiskybillyshakesNotoBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• NotoNoto

Thank you Willie! Do you know who the violinist playing with Birelli's group in part one is?

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

@Willie You mentioned frequent use of the "Z-word", which I understand has some cultural baggage in German. Is there another term that is preferred these days in the German language?

Because of that baggage, when I saw the title of the film, I was wondering how that would be received today. It almost seems like a demand: "Play gypsy. Play for us." As if the speaker were asking a pet dog to do a trick on command.

That said, this being produced in the 70s, it was likely not made to be offensive. It was just using some of those tropes and children's prejudices as you say. More like it was coming out of a place of ignorance but interest.

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

We should use the term "Sinti", but "Zigeuner" unfortjnately still is in use.

Don't know who the violin player with young Biréli is. I tried to research the festival program but did't find more than mentioned above.

billyshakesNotoBillDaCostaWilliams