DjangoBooks.com

FS: 2013 Altamira M10 + ~new Gator hardshell case - SOLD + shipping

billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
edited January 7 in Classifieds Posts: 1,309

For sale is my 2013 Altamira M10 (updated year based on serial number and discussion below). This is a great playing guitar that I have enjoyed as my everyday practice guitar. I've owned this guitar for about 6 years and have had no issues with it. Kept humidified in its case during the dry months of winter. Just upgraded to a Dupont so passing along to the next owner.

You can read about the Altamira M10 particulars on Michael's write up here: https://www.djangobooks.com/Item/altamira-m10

Specs: 14 Fret join, 670mm scale, Spruce top, solid Mahogany sides

Original Altamira tailpiece was replaced by a previous owner with a Dupont tailpiece. Original will be included in the case. Dupont tailpiece remains on the guitar.

Case is a nearly new GATOR hardshell GWE-DREAD-12 arched top wood case still with tags ($120 value). Chrome plated hardware with lock. One slight rub on the Tolex as shown, otherwise very clean as new.

For its age, the guitar is in really good condition. The top of the head has been dinged and you can see that in the 2 images of the head from different angles. There is one slight depression on the top near the upper moustache end (about the size of bic pen head). You can see this in a zoomed in picture and in the lamp glare of the top picture on the bed. A similar sized depression exists on the top side of the neck around the 3rd&4th fret. I tried to catch it in the glare, but otherwise very difficult to notice by sight. Those would be the largest marks. Anything else might be typical wear. There is no damage to the top finish near the high strings as is sometimes seen on these guitars. Some wear to frets as expected.

I'll ship via Fedex in the case in a Fedex guitar box. Guitar and case SOLD + call it XX for shipping. TOTAL: $SOLD

I will post on Reverb this weekend but will offer here at this forum price first.

WillieDoubleWhiskyMikeKBucoBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Nice Altamira - but that rug really ties the room together!

flacoBucobillyshakes
  • MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

FYI, 2008 was the year Altamira was founded, not when the guitar was built. They all say 2008.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Thanks Michael. Any idea why the label says 2007 then? Or is this a 2013 guitar guessing by the serial number?

• WillieWillie HamburgNew

Funny:

Purchased it last spring.

DoubleWhiskyBillDaCostaWilliams
  • DoubleWhiskyDoubleWhisky Upper FranconiaNew Dupont MD60, 1940s Castelluccia

Perhaps the company was established on a boozy New Year's Eve, so the founders are still arguing about which year it was?

WillieMikeKBuco
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Amid this fascinating debate on Altamira dating, I must make a plug for Billy's guitar. While I haven't played his, I've owned an M-10 for years and I've done hundreds of gigs on it. (I've also owned an M-01D that I bought from Michael and another M-10, both of which I loved). These are well-built, reliable guitars with good tone and Billy's offering someone a good deal on his.

DoubleWhiskyWilliebillyshakesBuco
  • geese_comgeese_com Madison, WINew 503

Maybe I should buy this one back 🤣

It was my very first GJ guitar. I've owned a couple since...

billyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliamsDoubleWhisky
  • tonkadubtonkadub New

How does your nomade compare to this ?

Especially in terms of volume, playability, wet/dry, tone ?

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,309

I think the Altamira compares very favorably with the Dupont. I've had this conversation with a few others. Both are very playable and probably the volume is about the same. I think the Dupont makes notes ring more clearly like a bell. Then again, I put new strings on it and the ones on the Altamira have a little mileage so not a true direct comparison.

If anything, I'd say the 2 things I noticed right away are:

1) The DuPont is a lighter guitar. This might be due to the lighter finish on the top?

2) The bolt on neck is slimmer around the heel join for obvious reasons. That could also be a chunk of the "missing weight." Not like I play up there a bunch, but with the cutaway, it makes it feel more like an electric guitar in terms of accessability. 15th fret is easy. 17th/18th fret are not much of a stretch.

Other than that, with a good setup, the Altamira is a great guitar at its price point. Both have open tuners and same tailpiece. The Dupont also has a piezo pickup which interested me most in case I wanted to play out with it. I didn't want to invest in mics and that whole setup right now, though I may need to for another of my guitars. And the price was right. Absent the pickup, I'd have probably stayed with the Altamira.

I'll pile on for Altamira M10, easily my favorite value/budget Selmer-style I've either owned or played (Eastman DM1/DM2 are right up there as well) - it might not have the depth or complexity of tone you typically find from most higher end Selmer-style oval holes but it more than makes up for that by sounding authentic and just being a ton of fun to play.

BillDaCostaWilliamsMikeKbillyshakesWillie