DjangoBooks.com

Dec Trivia: Django/Chet Atkins recordings

MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent
in History Posts: 385

I'm guessing many Django fans/gypsy jazz musicians deeply appreciate Chet Atkins. The appreciation is significant for me, as my dad used to play the album (yes, the album!) Chester & Lester for me when I was a kid, so my first time to hear many of the songs in the GJ repertoire came from those memorable days. My question is: what songs can you name that were recorded by both Django & Chet Atkins? I came up with 25, but I'm guessing there are many more. Most forum members probably know that Chet Atkins (perhaps one of the most respected guitarists of all time?) often said that Django was one of his favorite guitarists. I'll start with the 7 tunes on that album (recorded with Les Paul) that Django also recorded & you all can take it from there. To create a fun opportunity for everyone that wants to get involved, please limit your submissions to 7 that haven't yet been posted:

Moonglow

Caravan

It Had To Be You

Out Of Nowhere

Avalon

Lover, Come Back To Me

The World Is Waiting For The Sunrise

Have fun with it.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited December 2023 Posts: 826

I'll see you in my dreams

It don't mean a thing

Chinatown, my Chinatown

After you've gone

Honeysuckle Rose

Dark eyes

St. Louis Blues

MikeK
  • luckylucky New
    edited December 2023 Posts: 37

I’ll come straight in with the obvious one - I’ll See You in My Dreams.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=0J-7AzymBOU&si=O1tBMznkQQWvoQWd

MikeK
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Chet and Knopfler did Tears in addition to the previously mentioned ISYIMD. Chet and Jerry played Limehouse Blues. I think Jerry Reed was also a big Django fan.

MikeK

Apparently he said he would put Django at the top of the list of the most influential guitar players. The C.G.P. genius. Must've been very funny guy too.

MikeK
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

Django's Castle was the B side of Boo Boo Stick Beat in 1959 and I know I heard it for the first time on the Sixteen Scene album around 1963.

MikeK
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-10, Epiphone Zephyr Regent

Nice work so far, we've got 13 of my original 25 + 4 that I missed. Here are another 7:

Whispering

When Day Is Done

Crazy Rhythm

Somewhere Over The Rainbow

The Lambeth Walk

The Peanut Vendor

Lullaby Of Birdland

That leaves 5 left from my original list.