DjangoBooks.com

Anyone a swing nerd in general?

TydidesTydides
in Recording Posts: 37

Wanna bone up on all 30s and 40s swing music for listening and I always felt like my digging was too shallow. Was wondering if anyone on here had taken the time to make some really good (and long) playlists of classics and deep cuts on Spotify. For a starting off point. Got to be so much good stuff out there I haven’t heard. I’ve taken a crack at it a few times but I need to get do better. Searching Spotify playlists is always frustrating. Can never seem to find anyone who really knows what they’re doing and has good taste.

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I think you might start by looking at playlists for various radio programs. In the DC area, we have Rob Bamberger who has long hosted "Hot Jazz Saturday Night" on WAMU. Not sure if he publicizes his playlists, but you might just reach out to him. He's had the show forever and his knowledge is deep. Maybe there is someone similar in your area that is on the radio?

DoubleWhiskyTydides
  • TydidesTydides

That’s a great idea!

billyshakes
  • Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    edited December 2023 Posts: 1,858

Alex Pangman is Canada’s Sweetheart of Swing… there are dozens of her Mixcloud radio shows online, I’ve just chosen a couple of random samples…

billyshakesBillDaCostaWilliamsDoubleWhisky
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • edited December 2023 Posts: 4,833

Maybe ask Spotify to play "radio" based on Jonathan Stout and Matt Munisteri. Even look at their albums, they must've recorded a lot of these gems. I heard some beautiful tunes I've never heard before that Matt played at Django in June. So you're totally right, so much good stuff out there.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel