DjangoBooks.com

Yet another D vs O

Hello there.

I am torn between a Dupont MD50 and MDC50 (oval vs d). I like the looks of the oval best, but I keep reading that the D-hole is more versatile. Is this just a myth or is this common knowledge? Given all else equal on the guitar (if possible)

sorry to post yet another one of these threads

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I think you'll get a lot of feedback on one or the other, but I think the best option is to play both guitars and see which one speaks to you. I had initially learned/thought that the grande bouche was meant for rythm players and the petite bouche for lead players, but just a quick search on YouTube demonstrates that incorrect way of thinking. Dupont makes great instruments, so I think versatility is really going to be in the hands of the player. The guitar is not going to be the issue here IMO.

FWIW, I have a MD50 and and it's a fantastic instrument. I don't think you could go wrong either way!

DoubleWhisky
  • CraigHensleyCraigHensley Maine New Barault
    edited January 30 Posts: 73

If you prefer the looks of the oval, go with the oval. They're great for lead and rhythm. How versatile do you need a gypsy jazz guitar to be outside the realm of gypsy jazz? That's what flat tops, archtops, and electric guitars are for. Sellers just write stuff on their instrument descriptions that doesn't necessary apply to anything in the real world. Go with the oval.

wimbillyshakesDoubleWhisky
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy
    edited January 30 Posts: 356

I admire the look of a guitar as much as the next picker, but when I acquire one, it's because of the way it sounds and plays. And yes, the association of design (grande/petite bouche and the underappreciated scale length) to voice/function is oversimplified. While there might be a distribution bias one way or the other, in the end you're buying one particular guitar, not some statistical abstraction.

I don't see any reason to depart from the formula: you choose with your ears, your hands, and your wallet. Anything else is just fashion.

And FWIW, for a long time if I only wanted to take one guitar to an acoustic gig, it was my Michael Dunn Daphne. Our repertory included swing, country, folky-fingerpicking, and even some slack key. The Dunn worked for all of it.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Shape of the hole doesn't make a huge difference, apart from cosmetic. The scale length (distance from nut to bridge) is a much more influential factor in terms of playability and sound. These are both 670mm scale length instruments (standard).

> ... D-hole is more versatile. Is this just a myth or is this common knowledge?

Myth.

Confusion maybe comes originally because the Selmer Maccaferri D holes were short scale (640mm). But most modern makers don't do that, they make long scale for both oval and D hole instruments.

DoubleWhiskyBuco
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Joscho Stephane plays a long-scale D hole because, he says, it's more versatile for other kinds of music. I think the more "cutting" tone of oval holes is less suited to other styles than the broader tone of (even long-scale) D holes. But there are so many variations, depending on the maker and model.

• DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

In loud jams or gigs I do find I can hear myself better playing a D hole. That's one major advantage of it for me.

"Versatile"... not sure...maybe the 24 frets?! At the end of the day, it still sounds like a GJ guitar no matter what you play.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I don't know, that Favino seemed loud enough for me!

I think a sound port would really help if one wants to hear oneself better. Not sure if that is a factor in your choices, @drjazz

• DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

@billyshakes ...coincidently enough, in that jam we were on Saturday, in that room where everyone was playing, I could not hear myself with the Favino.

I dunno, my Ivanovski (oval hole) is plenty versatile for me, from gypsy jazz to fingerstyle to strumming (where most people would probably usually use a flattop).

JSanta
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

I could distinguish your guitar from across the room when I came in. I do think soundports do help in that. I've played some where I've covered it and strummed the guitar vs. left it open. Definitely like a little stage monitor for the player.