DjangoBooks.com

Dupont Jorgenson

Anyone know anything about these Dupont Jorgenson models?

I saw there was one listed here a while ago, but it didn't provide much info about it.

Also can't find any videos of Jorgenson actually playing any concerts with it, all I see him play is his Gitanes (is he on the hook to only play those?!).

Is this a Favino body? It kind of looks like it.

Is it worth it?

Comments

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others
    edited February 2 Posts: 186

Look at the action!(picture 5) Looks like the neck needs some serious adjustment. That rings alarm bells for me which makes me think it's not been looked after at all. The strings are also very old and corroded. It may well be salvageable, but I would want to play it first and give it a good check, and even then I'd be paying a lot less than that!

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

It's basically an MDC50B with an internal resonator. See more here:

Jangle_Jamie
  • scotscot Virtuoso

He only made a few of these, 14-fret full size body, large d-hole with the internal resonator. A friend of mine has one and it sounds terrific. This model is the only 14-fret resonator equipped guitar I can think of. MH has sold over 350 Duponts and exactly one of this model. A rare and valuable guitar.

billyshakesJangle_Jamie
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

I believe the sound was once described (in a reverb ad) as "horn-like" for leads. It may or may not have the sound you want.

• richter4208richter4208 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2 Posts: 521

I think it's great as long as I never have to jam or play with the guy that buys it.

I played with someone that had one of these internal gizmos in a Michael Dunn and just counted the minutes till the jam was over. Annoying overtones and just not a great tone/sound.

Jangle_Jamie
  • juandererjuanderer New ALD Original, Manouche Latcho Drom Djangology Koa, Caro y Topete AR 740 O

Rino Van Hooijdonk has made some as well. I sold a beautifully-sounding one for a friend a couple of years ago. That thing was loud, too.

db5
  • db5db5 New

That Dupont is also not 670mm Scale - so beware if you are looking for a long scale D hole. Diaposon 65 on the label indicates a 650 MM Scale.

This exact guitar was sold by a different site years ago when he worked out of Maryland. You can find it in his archives and match it up by the figuring on the back. This Dupont is from Sept 2003.

I have no association with the instrument. I was just checking it out myself and looked it up.

Cheers.

db