DjangoBooks.com

Sunken tops on (vintage) GJ guitars

Comments

• PJDPJD New

It would be interesting to know if there are two braces underneath the top near the bridge..! It would certainly help preventing the top from sinking.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E
    edited February 16 Posts: 1,310

Thanks, Jamie. They did look like brace locations, but I wasn't sure why they would be showing through the top. Your explanation of the glue could certainly be possible. And yes, I know they've found locations of old Roman villas in the UK via airplanes flying during droughts. The disturbing of the soil, even done 1000s of years ago, is still evident under certain conditions. Amazing.

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator

@billyshakes as @Jangle_Jamie mentioned, what you’re seeing is most likely the braces telegraphing through the top.

billyshakes
  • BonesBones Moderator

Watch out for low humidity environments

PJD
  • PJDPJD New

@Gouch It isn't for one specific guitar, i just started this post for me and others on this forum to get to know a little bit more on this matter :)

• PJDPJD New

@MichaelHorowitz Do you know if Busato guitars always have 2 braces underneath the top near the bridge?

I think the size, shape, number and the exact place of the braces play an important role in whether a top might cave in/sink or not. The vintage gypsy guitars i have that still have a perfect bombé top have big pointy triangle shaped braces, I think they have just 3 braces in total but I should recheck this... .

Do you know if Busato guitars always have 2 braces underneath the top near the bridge?

@PJD All Gypsy guitars do

BillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakes
  • PJDPJD New
    edited February 17 Posts: 37

@MichaelHorowitz That's interesting, so far I have only seen vintage gyspy guitars with a total of 3 braces underneath the top.. The 2 Carmelo Catania's I own have a total of 4 braces (2 underneath the fretboard part of the top).

• PJDPJD New

Not all vintage gypsy guitars have this Selmer bracing. There are a lot with just 3 or braces underneath the top, with just one underneath the bridge. I read that (a lot of) vintage Castelluccia's have a total of 3 braces underneath the top, so also just one brace underneath the bridge. Some Couesnon's only have 2 braces. I saw a post on this forum with a photo of @AndyW 's Gérôme with 4 braces which he changed. It would be interesting to know if and or how this operation has changed the sound of his guitar. My Joseph Di Mauro also has just 3 braces underneath the top (and one brace on the back). My Vincenzo Miroglio same, another mystery gypsy guitar i own also has just 3 braces underneath the top.

edited February 18 Posts: 6,154

@PJD sorry, I should have clarified my statement by saying that all Selmer style guitars have that sort of bracing. As you mentioned, there are many other variations by lesser known makers,