DjangoBooks.com

(Gypsy) Jazz with Oud or Cimbalom

WillieWillie HamburgNew
edited February 21 in Repertoire Posts: 827

After musicians like Anouar Brahem and Rabih Abou-Khalil younger Oud players are continuing the combination of oriental and occidental music styles outside the dancefloors.

BillDaCostaWilliamsRipDoubleWhisky

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited February 21 Posts: 827
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Playing Caravan with an oud is a natural fit! Just the type of sound Ellington was imagining when he composed it I suspect.

Yaakov Hoter has played oud before and compared some of the techniques (i.e. rest stroke picking) with this style of music. Personally, I find the tremolo picking he does on the first part here more reminiscent of a cimbalom.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliamsRipDoubleWhisky
  • WillieWillie HamburgNew

Unfortunately I cannot find Oud AND Cimbalom playing together ...

• JasonSJasonS New

Oud would traditionally be paired with a Kanun (sometimes spelled Qanun) instead of a Cimbalom. Oud with gypsy jazz is an interesting concept, much of the repertoire works well on the instrument.

There are some unique challenges though; Comping chords on oud can be iffy given the lack of frets and tuning, it really just depends on the key and voicing as to how feasible it is for most players. I suspect Turkish classical tuning would be a little friendlier than tunings typical among Arabic players. Iraqi tuning with the high F would probably be beneficial for this use case too, especially in regards to soloing.

The other main challenge would be the lack of volume. Iraqi/Bashir style ouds with a floating bridge and pliage on the top are the loudest but are still quiet compared to Selmer style guitars w/ metal strings. You would definitely need amplification to play with others.

Josh Kaye (rhythm guitarist for Stephane Wrembel) and Brian Prunka are both great oud players as well as guitarists. Check out their stuff!

BillDaCostaWilliamsWillieRipAndyW
  • wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Olivier Kikteff (from Les Doigts De L'Homme) plays an oud sometimes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzwJ-RRRzY

WillieRipBillDaCostaWilliams
  • scotscot Virtuoso

Titi Robin, a French multi-instrumentalist who is well-known in world music circles, played some with French gypsies 20-30 years ago - maybe he still does. He's a very busy guy. He also made some oud/guitar duets with Francis Moerman. Titi Robin is an amazing musician and composer and Francis was at his very best on these recordings.

I don't remember all of the titles but here is one of them - Django a Baghdad

The two records "un Ciel de Cuivre" and "Gitanes" are both great

BillDaCostaWilliamsRipWillie