DjangoBooks.com

Argentine tension compared with classical nylon strings

Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

I recently bought a nylon D hole made by Jean Louis Alves de Puga. Just a thought, but how close are hard tension nylon strings to Argentine 10s? I don't want to cause any excess stress on the neck and the bridge, but I'm curious to know what it would sound like with argentines on. It's a great guitar and I love playing all sorts on it!

Comments

• WillieWillie HamburgNew
    edited February 27 Posts: 826

Try Thomastik Infeld KR 110, I put them on that old Höfner classical guitar.They do not cause any neck issue and sound quite right: https://youtu.be/ljLxAcfwpIQ.

Edit: I am a bit confused now. I was quite sure about the strings. In the Video I wrote "KR 110", and those surely were 0.10 roundwounds, but I do not find them on the Thomastik website. Only the 0.10 flatwounds KF 110 mentioned above. Thomann sells KR 116, but never in my life I had played the tune on a set of 0.16 strings.

Jangle_Jamie
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

I once had a J.P. Favino nylon string Gypsy Guitar about 10 years ago.

I was just as curious as you. So I send a message to JP Favino asking him If it would be à good idea to try on a set of .010 Argentine on it. He strongly suggest that I should not.

But Hey ! It’s only me.

Jangle_Jamie
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Are those Thomastik strings noticeably lower tension than Argentines Willie? As Guitarmike says, it's not something I would unless I was absolutely sure I wasn't doing any harm. I often see classical guitars in junk/antique shops strung up with steel strings, and they almost always have terribly warped necks or bridges about to ping off!

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Hofner sounds great by the way Willie!!!

Willie

I think the Thomastik Infeld strings are made for having a steel sound on a nylon string guitar. The tension in any case is lower.

Jangle_Jamie
  • pdgpdg ✭✭

Another possibility is silk & steel, though those usually substitute for regular steel strings.

Jangle_Jamie

Ok, I've gone for the flat wound KF110 set. £28! That's by far the most I've spent on strings (apart from my very posh tape wound Rotosound bass strings)

Willie

Yes, that's expensive, but they seem to sound good rather long.

If you start spending money on strings instead of guitars you'll make your wife very happy.

billyshakesJangle_Jamie
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • AndyWAndyW Glasgow Scotland UK✭✭✭ Clarinets & Saxes- Selmer, Conn, Buescher, Leblanc et.al. // Guitars: Gerome, Caponnetto, Napoli, Musicalia, Bucolo, Sanchez et. al.

those KR 110 might be the answer to my steel-strings-on-an-acoustic question I was asking re. the rhythm guitar in Portuguese Fado

Jangle_Jamie