DjangoBooks.com

Busato sized hard case

Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Hi there!

Can anyone tell me whether Busatos (specifically Dupont's Busato Royale) require a specially shaped case? That extra 1cm lower bout and the deeply arched back and top make me wonder.

Thanks, Jamie

Comments

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

I can't speak to the Dupont, but my Gaffiero Magda (which is his take on a Busato) does not fit in the Bam case I have. Just slightly too long. I'd be curious what others are using as well.

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Thanks. I have a Hiscox Pro II GJ case that fits my Selmer copies fine, but just wondering if the extra 1cm will mean it doesn't fit. Any clues? Length I would have thought would not be an issue. It's all about that lower bout and the arched top and back.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

How does Dupont ship them? Website says hardcase. Not sure if it is their standard or special case. Either way, I imagine @MichaelHorowitz can sort you out with what fits and what doesn't. I suspect he's seen a few pass through here. ;-)

• MichaelHorowitzMichaelHorowitz SeattleAdministrator
    edited March 7 Posts: 6,153

@Jangle_Jamie Busato style guitars, including the Dupont models, require a case that will accommodate a 16 1/4" body. Dupont has custom TKL cases made for their Busato models. There is no mass produced case that will fit. Your best bet would probably be a 17" archtop case of some kind. Also, a Favino sized case will work (is just a little too big but much closer than a 17" case) but those are also tough to find. We occasionally have Altamira cases for Favinos so that could work.

billyshakes
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

Thanks everyone.

Jamie

• TwangTwang New

The interior sides of your Hiscox case will compress when you hit it with a hammer/mallet. Hiscox themselves advised me to do this and it works.

strombolimusik

Are you serious Twang?!

• TwangTwang New

Yes I'm serious. I did this to make a Marin fit. My Dupont fitted fine but the Marin must have body dimensions closer to a Favino.

The hard interior sides are made out of some kind of compressable material. Think- the kind of stuff that florists use to stick flowers in. When you hit it with a round headed hammer you can shape the sides to fit your guitar. The spongey pads also pull out easily and can be placed anywhere you like. Hiscox once gave me a bag of spare ones. You just slide the ends in with a blunt knife.

Some words of advice: Shaping the sides like this will only work to a certain degree. So if your guitar is much bigger then I'd think again.

Have some confidence, it's not easy to damage the hard padding but if you go crazy you could bend the valance (the aluminium strip that surrounds the case). You'll struggle to close the lid if this gets distorted. Think car subframe.

The hard padding has some memory so you may think the job is done but you may need to go at it a couple of times for the padding to stay compressed.

As I said, Hiscox themselves advised me to try this. That's how I knew it was ok to try but if you're worried, drop them an email to confirm.

Hope this works for you

Jangle_Jamie