DjangoBooks.com

Which waltz

pete gpete g Cheltenham, UKNew
in Repertoire Posts: 11

I'm a relative newbie and want to learn a waltz. Whch one is easier ? I xan manage the A section of Montagne but the B section is too fast for me.

Comments

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Have you tried Soundslice yet? (soundslice.com) There are several transcriptions of different waltzes there, it is free to access if you create a profile, and you are able to slow down the various sections to a tempo you can play them at. You can also select what sections you want to loop and just practice them. I'd say pick one you like, find that version on soundslice, and then just learn it at a slow speed. Gradually increase the tempo (i.e. 60% to 70% etc) until you eventually get it up to full speed. Since they aren't common jam tunes, you might as well play one you enjoy listening to yourself.

That said, Indifference and Bistro Fada play off the same chords so you could get 2 for the price of 1! I think Stephane Wrembel even sells his transcription of Bistro Fada for a few bucks. I've posted a few of Lollo Meier's waltzes on there too in case you like them. They don't have C sections so follow more of an AABA format usually. Here's the first one he taught me.

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Some easier ones are:

Chez Jacquet

Under Paris skies

La Foule

Bistro Fada

rudolfochrist
  • luckylucky New

Don’t worry about the B section, a lot of players either simplify or improvise it. My unprovable theory is that the A-section was based on a Django idea and the B-section was Matelo’s.

Another one to throw in the mix - although not actually a gypsy waltz but in the same vein - is Eddie Lang’s April Kisses.

• MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-30, Altamira M-10

The first GJ tune that I learned how to play as a waltz was Anniversary Song. It lends itself well to 3/4, and you can always call it in 4/4 if you want to switch it back on a particular gig. Most folks know it already, so you can play it with anybody. We do it in the form of AABB.

AndyWBillDaCostaWilliams
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Yes, @MikeK ! Resharing this from the song of the month series. Works great as a waltz and isn't difficult to play the melody. We sometimes also experiment with Nuages in 3/4.

MikeKAndyWBillDaCostaWilliams
  • guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

https://youtu.be/zgFOdmjXz3c?feature=shared