DjangoBooks.com

Sylvain Luc

Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others
in Repertoire Posts: 195

Very sad to hear the news that Sylvain Luc has died. What an amazing musician.

Twenty years ago I was at Samois and watched this incredible guitarist take to the stage with Stochelo, Larry Coryell and Philip Catherine. It was a wonderful concert. The following week in Paris I spotted a cd in a shop - Ambre - which I immediately bought. My collection of his recordings has grown over the years, and I went to see him play a lovely little intimate gig in Perpignan more recently. My favourite album of his is Trio Sud (2002), and I urge people here who do not own it to get listening to it - there are some simply beautiful passages of playing to be enjoyed.

billyshakesDoubleWhisky

Comments

• Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Wow! So young. I was right there with you at Samois for that show, Jamie.

Jangle_Jamie
  • edited March 15 Posts: 4,750

What...how??

PS found this site, it's French

Section auto-translated

Sylvain Luc, from Bayon from a family of musicians and who became a genius guitarist, a reference in the world of jazz, died at the age of 58, on the night of Wednesday March 13 to Thursday March 14. “Sylvain’s heart stopped suddenly yesterday , ” wrote his wife, Marylise Florid-Luc, in a tribute on Facebook.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel

It's so strange, one day you're living your life as one of best guitar players on this planet without a slightest hint as to what's coming, then the next day you're gone. Probably one of the last videos of him out there. If you'd like a deep dive into his playing, YT will probably flood you recommendations if you follow this link

He played with Bireli a lot. His playing made Bireli sound, dare I say, ordinary. He really was on another level.

RipadrianBillDaCostaWilliamsJangle_Jamie
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • Jangle_JamieJangle_Jamie Scottish HighlandsNew De Rijk, some Gitanes and quite a few others

I've been (attempting to) play some of his songs in the past two days which feels moving. Simply an amazing guitarist, with such an incredible knowledge and inventiveness.

Buco

Here's a quick recording of Xarmegaria, an homage to Sylvain. It's my new Di Mauro with by EKO fretless bass. Go easy though! I could've spent ages getting it right but really just wanted to record something.

WilliebillyshakesBucoBillDaCostaWilliams
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl

A beautiful tribute.

Jangle_Jamie
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

Love it!

Jangle_Jamie
  • PhilPhil Portland, ORModerator Anastasio

Great guitarist, sorry to hear of Sylvan's passing. Died at 58...oh what wonderful music Django would've made with those additional 15 years!🙏