DjangoBooks.com

Shimming bridge?

2»

Comments

• wimwim ChicagoModerator Barault #503 replica

Perhaps I misunderstood Murray's question when I said "neither". My brain parsed that as

do I compare open string tuning to 12th fret open harmonic, or [open string tuning to] 12th fret fretted?

but I realize now it could also be understood as

do I compare open string tuning to 12th fret open harmonic, or 12th fret fretted [to 12th fret open harmonic]?

regardless, I think using the natural harmonic is easier to hear because the pitch is the same, rather than an octave away.

rudolfochrist

With this conversation going, I checked the intonation on my guitar. The low E side ended being lined up with the mustache piece and high E was about 1/16" back towards the tailpiece. Not much you can do without a movable saddles for each string anyway.

Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I found credit card-like plastic to be the best shims. Old thin pics work well too.

• guitarmikeguitarmike Montreal, Quebec✭✭ Old French Gypsy Guitar

If you use credit card for shimming, make sure you use one that’s not expired. More satisfying!

• murrayatuptowngallermurrayatuptowngaller Holland, MINew Quinteros 2023 Di Mauro Chorus variant, Gibson 1956 ES-135, The Loar LH350VS

Thank you, all

• GregOGregO Tarpon Springs, FLNew Eimers Nympheas

Re the first post: for intonation you compare the 12th fret to the open 12th harmonic. The fretted note is either sharp (move the bridge back) or flat (move the bridge forward). Hop this helps.