DjangoBooks.com

Most annoying sound in any Django recording (probably only)

RipRip olympia, washingtonNew
in Repertoire Posts: 353

Starts at :33 secs

No offense to penny whistle lovers, my bad.

Bones

Comments

Ok the sound is obviously terrible but after a few listen, dude kinda swings hard, if you transcribed that on a instrument with any sort of pleasant timbre those are some good lines

DoubleWhiskyRipBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakeswim
  • Teddy DupontTeddy Dupont Deity

That's Les Lieber the saxophonist. He's the guy who went to find Django when he did not turn up for the second Carnegie Hall concert with Duke Ellington. Although Django received some adverse comments from Leonard Feather about his playing and behaviour at this concert, there are recordings showing he was actually really great.

adrianDoubleWhiskyBillDaCostaWilliamsbillyshakesRip
  • djazzydjazzy New Riccardo Mordeglia, AJL

I kinda like it.

Rip
  • RipRip olympia, washingtonNew

He swung very hard! It just totally caught me off guard. I'm a video editor and I listen to Django when I edit. It disrupted my flow and I had to stop for a moment. If those lines were played on a sax, I would have been fine. And at the end of the day, I guess it's pretty cool.

I was totally getting into the Django/Ellington sessions yesterday. They're so good!! I don't know what people are talking about. At one point Django does this line that completely blew me away and the audience goes wild. This showed me, once again, that even when he plays a lot of notes, the audience follow what he's doing, because he's actually saying something. Musical communication at its highest. Thanks for telling me about Les. Imagine having to go find Django.

Yeah, it's cool! Now that I know its there, I can listen with fresh ears.

• paulmcevoy75paulmcevoy75 Portland, MaineNew

Is that a penny whistle or a piccolo? Sounds like a penny whistle but a piccolo would be more likely to be available to a sax player. But it does sound like he's limited in his not choices.

I didn't mind it.

Rip

According to Teddy, this is him. Cool dude.

WillieBillDaCostaWilliamsdjazzy
  • BillDaCostaWilliamsBillDaCostaWilliams Barreiro, Portugal✭✭✭ Mateos, Altamira M01F, Huttl
    edited April 9 Posts: 646

Les Lieber lived to be 106.

WillieRip
  • MikeKMikeK Asheville, NCNew Altamira M-30, Altamira M-10

How about the cough that can be heard in Django's recording of Body & Soul? I always brace myself when it's coming.

RiplittlemarkdjazzyTeddy Dupont