DjangoBooks.com

Dunn guitar - truss rod adjustment

DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250
edited May 14 in FAQ Posts: 177

Just like everything is unique on a Michael Dunn guitar, so is the truss rod.

Anyone know how to adjust it????

No hex wrench fits it, and can't fit a regular wrench there to twist it either, if that's how it's done on it.

Comments

Hard to tell but looks like maybe it's a bit stripped?? Either way, I'd take to a luthier before messing around with it too much more.

• billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

You might try to ask Shelley Park if you don't find any responses here. I think she might have worked with him for a while. At least they lived and built guitars in the same town. She probably has seen more than one of his guitars.

DragonPL
  • DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

I actually messaged him on Messenger, but not sure if he reads those. His old website is not up anymore so I don't have his contact.

• GouchGouch FennarioNew ALD Originale D, Zentech Proto, ‘50 D28

What’s the problem you are trying to solve?

(Is the fingerboard very flat if you put a ruler on it? If it is, I would recommend leaving the truss rod torque as-is)

• JasonSJasonS New

Hard to tell from the picture but is it designed to use a right angle truss rod wrench that slips over the nut? I have a few guitars with those. It's no problem to adjust the truss rod if you want more/less relief. It shouldn't be used to change the action. Just mentioning because there are a few videos out there from well known Selmer style guitar luthiers that wildly misrepresent what the truss rod is for.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TRWrench--taylor-truss-rod-wrench-steel-string?srsltid=AfmBOorSAAzgDw7RsoRD2WpHJ-gbAVVVSEP4z-t92RWRSmLu0BR9Uqz1bf0

DragonPL
  • Russell LetsonRussell Letson Prodigy

About the truss rod nut itself: it might be metric rather than English--I bought some metric hex wrenches for just such situations. (I also have a Dunn guitar but have never needed to adjust the relief.)

About contacting Michael: If he doesn't check his messages, maybe just post directly to his FB page, which I know he attends to because he posts there himself.

• DragonPLDragonPL Maryland✭✭ Dupont MD 50-XL (Favino), Michael Dunn Stardust, Castelluccia Tears, Yunzhi gypsy jazz guitar, Gitane DG-320, DG-250M and DG-250

Thanks!!!! That wranch did it!!! (Got the same style but in three sizes of Amazon, and one of them worked)