DjangoBooks.com

My Dupont MD50 has a tiny crack at the rosette

Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops

I have owned this MD50 for 20 years. I have taken very good care of it, always keeping it in the case (with a humidifier during winter months). Just the other day, I noticed a tiny crack or perhaps a seam separation between the top of the sound hole and the little ebony part of the rosette (picture attached). It may also extend into the ebony part of the rosette slightly, but it is tight there and could also just be in the lacquer in that location. I don’t know how long it has been there because it’s barely noticeable. The top has reinforcement under the rosette at that point so I don’t think this will open up any more. I think I should take it to a shop anyway, to have it checked out and perhaps stabilized. Has anyone else experienced a crack at this location? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Keith

Tagged:

Comments

• Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops

It has been repaired now.

Keith

BillDaCostaWilliamsBucobillyshakes
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

What did they do?

• Keith MurchKeith Murch Ontario Canada and Naples Florida✭✭ Dupont MD50 and several archtops

The repair guy said it is unlikely to spread, because it was just a slight separation of the seam and these guitars are made with a reinforcement directly under the ebony piece of the rosette. He said it would probably be ok to just leave it, but I wanted it sealed up. He just glued it and buffed it. It’s barely noticeable now.

Keith

billyshakes