DjangoBooks.com

What wood is this?

constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos

Just picked up an older lacho Drom guitar and found the wood grain to be very interesting. Is this just regular Rosewood, or some other wood? Thank you in advance, these sort of things keep me up at night.

BillDaCostaWilliams

Comments

• TwangTwang New

At first glance I’d say it’s Brazilian rosewood. The look and colour of this wood can vary massively but the thin dark figure in the middle is the biggest clue. It’s only a veneer but , whatever you do, don’t take it through customs without all the required paperwork. Brazilian is rare, valuable and at the very top of the CITES list. They’ll confiscate it in a heartbeat, along with all your rhino horns, baby snow leopards and tigers feet.

I could easily be wrong about this. Identifying woods is a tricky business but I have drooled over a lot of br guitars in my time and also owned a couple. The last one came with its own passport!.

• constantineconstantine New York✭✭✭✭ Geronimo Mateos

Thx Twang

• paulmcevoy75paulmcevoy75 Portland, MaineNew

looks a bit like Chechen to me. I don't think it's Brazilian, or Rosewood, but I'm not sure.

• TwangTwang New

Jean Barault Brazilian rosewood guitar.

BillDaCostaWilliams