DjangoBooks.com

Vittorio Monti

emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
edited February 2007 in Gypsy Jazz Italia Posts: 472
Vittorio Monti (6 January 1868 - 20 June 1922) was an Italian composer.
He was born in Naples where he studied violin and composition at the Conservatorio di San Pietro a Majella. Around 1900 he got an assignment as the conductor for the Lamoureux Orchestra in Paris where he wrote several ballets and operettas.
Monti scored the most important success of his professional life with the Hungarian-style Czardas, which was originally composed for either violin or mandolin and piano. It was soon arranged for all kinds of ensembles, for it epitomises for many people the essence of the old Hungarian dance, with its juxtaposition of fast and slow music.

monti.jpg

Comments

• clausciclausci RomaNew
    I add two composition of Vittorio Monti also if they are less famous of the czardas,a lot of gypsies play them without mention to the source as they are hungarian tunes:

-The Whistle

-Hora in B minor

and i think myself that many of his other composition are now played in the hungarian repertoire.
    Claudio
  • clausciclausci RomaNew
    i forgot to say that you can find these two tunes in correct attribution to Vittorio Monti in the cd of the violinist Gilles Apap:
    "Gilles Apap and the transiylvanian mountain boys" toghether with other great stuff.
    Claudio
  • emicademicad Rome - ItalyModerator
    Thanks Claud, nice work.