DjangoBooks.com

Sticky Fingers

casscass Pennsylvania New AJL XO, DuPont MD100, Gitane DG255
in Technique Posts: 21

Hi all- I’m looking for advice on performing at warm, humid outdoor shows. My left hand tends to get clammy and sticky on the fingerboard. I have used products like finger ease, but they feel greasy and only give temporary relief. I have been able to work through it for years on less demanding electric top 40 cover gigs, but in gypsy jazz the lead playing is so demanding it really hinders my performance. I’m sure there are some of you who may have some experience with this issue. Thanks in advance. Jim

Comments

• flacoflaco Shelley Park #151, AJL Quiet and Portable

Have you tried Fast Fret? I definitely have this issue. I use a combination of fast fret on the strings, talc-free baby powder on my hands, and wiping the strings between tunes. I’ve never tried coated gypsy strings, but the coated strings like Elixir’s help on my dreadnaught

Small towels. Keep a few of them with you and use them between every song on your hands and the guitar neck. My hands get sweaty sometimes even when it isn't hot & humid and towels have been the most effective solution, at least for me.

• pdgpdg ✭✭

During every break wash your hands with soap and warm water.

• casscass Pennsylvania New AJL XO, DuPont MD100, Gitane DG255

Thank you all! I’ll try Fast Fret and Baby Powder! I do keep a towel handy to wipe down my hands and strings between songs. I was told by someone that Chet Atkins recommended nose grease! Unfortunately I don’t have a lot of that.

• JSantaJSanta NY✭✭✭ Dupont, Gaffiero, AJL

One odd side effect I have to a medication has been sweaty palms, which as we all know, not so fun for playing. I found this company called Carpe, and their anti-sweat hand cream has been a life saver. Goes on and dries fast, and nothing noticeable from a sensation perspective.

• ChiefbigeasyChiefbigeasy New Orleans, LA✭✭✭ Dupont MDC 50; The Loar LH6, AJL Silent Guitar

I’ve taken to carrying a towel in my gig equipment bag as well as a travel size baby powder. I got the baby powder idea from seeing Jeff Beck use it, even on stage between tunes. Just be careful how much you use, especially if you’re wearing any dark colored clothes.

In this order, wipe guitar neck and dry hands with towel, small spritz of baby powder rubbed on hands, the move your left hand up and down the guitar neck. Towel off you right hand so pick doesn’t slip.

i live and play in New Orleans, LA. We’re playing an outdoor gig next Saturday at the Bacchanal wine garden. Projected temp is 94 with dew point somewhere in the “air you can wear” range. Typical New Orleans summer.

i also bring a battery operated 14 inch fan and point it at me.

• casscass Pennsylvania New AJL XO, DuPont MD100, Gitane DG255
    edited July 9 Posts: 21

Thanks again! I tried the Carpe, it stopped the sweat, but for some reason it seemed to make my hands more sticky. I’ll try the baby powder! I originally stayed away from the powder because some say it gunks up the neck. Yesterday I did a 4 hour outdoor gig in Jersey with my cover band, and it was 94 degrees! What a struggle! I’m gonna buy a fan today!

• pickglenpickglen Minneapolis MNNew Shelly Park guitar
    edited July 9 Posts: 3

Try baby powder it works great. That's what Tabla players use.

cass