DjangoBooks.com

Side crack fix

Hello,

A shelf collapsed in my room and the edge of a monitor landed on the corner of my guitar, thankfully the soft case took most of the brunt but it did leave a good little crack against the grain in the corner of the cutaway. I believe it is a 1940's sonora busato, it's special to me but I'm also broke. I can see on the inside there is a tiny split in the last laminate and I can shine a torch through the very thin crack. My main concern is that it will get worse or has compromised the strength of the corner , I'm unsure if it has affected the tone at all.

Can I glue it myself or is it worth taking it to a luthier (I'm based in Paris)

is it likely to effect the tone?

Thanks!

Comments

• JasonSJasonS New

It won't affect the tone at all. I'd honestly be surprised if a crack in that location would grow but it can be hard to predict what cracks will do. IMO there isn't much to be done here other than getting glue into the crack to stabilize things. Personally I would take it to a luthier for their opinion but it shouldn't cost very much to fix it.

Buco

I also think it's going to have no effect on the tone. Sides are made to be stiff and rigid and wood is unlikely to ever move at that spot. If it was my guitar I'd mask well around the crack (and underneath the crack from inside if you can reach). Then use ultra thin super glue and slowly work it inside the crack.

JasonS
    Every note wants to go somewhere-Kurt Rosenwinkel
  • billyshakesbillyshakes NoVA✭✭✭ Park Avance - Dupont Nomade - Dupont DM-50E

If you think about it, if it were on the other side of the guitar, you might even consider just cutting a hole around it and making a soundport. In that case, removing the material might actually make your guitar seem louder (at least to you!) But, it doesn't really pay to put a soundport that projects to the floor. So I'll join the chorus with the similar opinion that structurally, what you have, shouldn't affect anything too much.