DjangoBooks.com

Si Tu Savais: Tune of the Month, August '06

2»

Comments

• Lango-DjangoLango-Django Niagara-On-The-Lake, ONModerator
    Thanks for the French lyrics and the English translation, BBHarry!

Ah, yes, a generous dose of self-pity does give a pop song that extra powerful emotional resonance, doesn't it?

There are so many self-pity songs I love---- Irving Berlin's immortal "What'll I Do?" and "Roses of Yesterday"... then there's "Among My Souvenirs" , I don't know who wrote that....

Over the years, I've discovered a whole bunch of even more obscure ones from the early thirties only because great jazz players like Venuti, Lang or Rollini played on recordings... anybody heard "How About Me" or "Here Lies Love"?... "I Cover the Waterfront"

And of course let's not forget the immortal Edith Piaf's "Milord" where the self-pity is amplified by means of a deliberately forced gaiety... genius!

But perhaps Paul McCartney deserves the Oscar for all-time self-pity with his "Yesterday"... ?

However, this is an Oscar that other posters may choose to dispute!

Fun stuff!
    Paul Cezanne: "I could paint for a thousand years without stopping and I would still feel as though I knew nothing."

Edgar Degas: "Only when he no longer knows what he is doing does the painter do good things.... To draw, you must close your eyes and sing."

Georges Braque: "In art there is only one thing that counts: the bit that can’t be explained."
  • crookedpinkycrookedpinky Glasgow✭✭✭✭ Alex Bishop D Hole, Altamira M & JWC D hole
    Hi all, I've only recently found this beautiful tune - thanks to Andy W of the Hot Club of Glasgow for introducing me to the song, Andy does a fabulous version on his clarinet.

Anyway, I love this version -
    always learning
  • oliverfoliverf VancouverNew
    Check out Adrien Moignard & Gonzalo Bergara on this tune:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJwXvlivwWc&feature=related
  • Thanks for all the information...

I put the lyrics into a B minor version, might have some mistakes as I do not speak french...
  • BonesBones Moderator
    Hey Jack,

What do you mean by this (see quote below) in your original post? (doesn't Bireli just do the Bm/C9 intro)

thanks

"The Bireli intro starts with a Bm6/9 stab, like so:

--x
    you can hear it Here.
    before moving down to the G, F#, and F chords. Try letting the G string ring out as an open string while descending (the rhythm is open to interpretation): "
  • colorado_hickcolorado_hick Hotchkiss Colorado✭✭
    Any chance you can transpose to F# with the Lyrics? I found an old version on spotify "Interpretes Divers/ Les Grandes Dames De La Chanson Francaise" and that key works well for my vocalist. danke schön!