DjangoBooks.com

What type of guitar is Django playing...

andyandy New
edited December 2010 in History Posts: 80
....in the famous picture that adorns these pages (top right)?

I've always wondered.

Cheers,
Andy

Comments

• scotscot Virtuoso
    That guitar is a Levin (from Sweden) that belonged to Duke Ellington's guitar player, Freddy Guy. Photo taken at the Aquarium Club in New York.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    The interesting thing about this is that Fred Guy was a died-in-the-wool Stromberg endorser through most of the '30's into the 1940's and owned at least two Deluxe models. The Levin must have been something very special tonally to get him away Stromberg's guitarists which are exceptional acoustic orchestral guitars.

Either that, or he was worried Django was going to abscond with it. And no offense to Michael, but part of me wishes we had a different photo up there; sometimes it seems like you can't find anything Django-related without that one. Maybe Patrick could supply a rotating set of pics from his incredible collection. Just a thought.
    www.everwander.com/patrick

Best,
    Jack.
  • JackJack western Massachusetts✭✭✭✭
    :shock: You're joking, right?

Absolutely, my friend; it was more of a gentle prod at us gadjos (gadje?) than at Django.

Best,
    Jack.
  • Tom LandmanTom Landman Brooklyn, NY✭✭✭✭ 6 strings
    Could this be the very guitar?
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0560138503

The interesting thing about this is that Fred Guy was a died-in-the-wool Stromberg endorser through most of the '30's into the 1940's and owned at least two Deluxe models. The Levin must have been something very special tonally to get him away Stromberg's guitarists which are exceptional acoustic orchestral guitars.